Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is this correct and natural?

For years I tried to protect my daughter from the world. I have injected so much doubt and fear into her brain. That ought to enable her to have a good life. Don't I feel stupid now.
Now she has an insipid, claustrophobic existence, spending all of her time in her little apartment. I wanted to protect her from the world. Maybe I should have protected her from myself.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is this correct and natural?

For years, I tried to protect my daughter from the world. I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] injected/instilled [STRIKE]so much[/STRIKE] a lot of doubt and fear into her. [STRIKE]brain.[/STRIKE] That ought to have enabled her to have a good life. Don't I feel stupid now?!
Now she has [STRIKE]an insipid[/STRIKE] a bland/boring/dull, claustrophobic existence, spending all of her time in her little apartment. I wanted to protect her from the world. Maybe I should have protected her from [STRIKE]myself[/STRIKE] me.

See above.

I always advise learners not to use "so" instead of "very/extremely" or "so much" instead of "a lot of". Save "so" for use in "so much XXX that YYY" etc.
I don't like the use of "insipid" to describe someone's life.
Many people, including native speakers, use the reflexive incorrectly. You need the simple pronoun "me". The only way the reflexive would have been appropriate would have been if you said "I should have protected her from herself".

Status
Not open for further replies.