Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
United States
a. Tom was alone at the party, from which I concluded that the rumors about his breaking up with Jane were probably true,

b. Harry was helping Tom, for which I could find no explanation. As far as I knew they hated each other.

Are the above sentences grammatically correct and meaningful?

Many thanks.

a. Tom was alone at the party, from which I concluded that the rumors about his breaking up with Jane were probably true,

b. Harry was helping Tom, for which I could find no explanation. As far as I knew they hated each other.

Are the above sentences grammatically correct and meaningful?

I find both sentences rather creaky at their hinges and recommend using "which led me to conclude" instead of "from which I concluded" in (a) and "which I found inexplicable" instead of "for which I could find no explanation" in (b):

(a1) Tom was alone at the party, which led me to conclude that the rumors about his breaking up with Jane were probably true.
(b1) Harry was helping Tom, which I found inexplicable. As far as I knew, they hated each other.

Incidentally, a few hundred years ago, I think "whence" would have worked nicely in (a) instead of "from which."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back