Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I have chosen a IELTS practice speaking topic and written a paragraph about it. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Describe a school that you are attending or attended in the past. You should say:

• What it looks like from the outside
  • What it looks like inside
  • What facilities it has
And say if you think it is a good school building or not, and why

Answer:

I'd like to talk about my primary school. It's surrounded by a basketball court, car park and playground. It was mainly painted in blue and white. It's an ordinary school without any stylish design. Inside the school, there is a covered playground where I did assembly everyday. The place was very dark even with light on. Also, there is a snack shop, which is my favorite place in the school. Apart from classrooms, there are other multifunctional rooms for extra-curriculum activities. I don't know if it's a good school building. Maybe yes. Since the school is not that big and well-planned, I never got lost or felt confused when I studied there.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Should I use the past tense to describe the school building even if I know the infrusture of the building hasn't changed?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please post your own text for checking here in Editing & Writing Topics.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Answer:

My primary school is surrounded by a basketball court, car park and playground. It is mainly painted [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] blue and white. It's an ordinary school without any stylish design. Inside the school, there is a covered playground where I did assembly every day. The place is very dark, even with lights on. Also, there is a snack shop, which is my favorite place in the school. Apart from classrooms, there are other multifunctional rooms for extra-curriculum activities. I don't know if it's a good school building. Maybe yes. Since the school is not that big and well-planned, I never got lost or felt confused when I studied there.
I don't know what "did assembly" means.

Look up the difference between everyday and every day. They don't mean the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, you can say "... where we had assembly every day".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Answer:

I'd like to talk about my primary school. It's surrounded by a basketball court, car park and playground. It was mainly painted [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] blue and white. It's an ordinary school without any stylish design. Inside the school, there is a covered playground where I attended assembly every day. The place was very dark even with the lights on.

That makes no sense to me. Why would it be dark with the lights on?

Also, there is a snack shop, which was my favorite place in the school. Apart from classrooms, there are other multifunctional rooms for extra-curricular activities. I don't know if it's a good school building. Maybe yes. Since the school is not that big and well-planned, I never got lost or felt confused when I studied there.

I don't think you mean to say that if the building had been better planned you would have gotten lost.

My shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
That makes no sense to me. Why would it be dark with the lights on?
To me, it was very dark, compared to my classrooms. Some places are just very dark even with lights.

I don't think you mean to say that if the building had been better planned you would have gotten lost.

I mean "I never got lost because of the well-planned school". It seem I should use the past tense: "Since the school is big and was well-planned, I never got lost or..."

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To me, it was very dark, compared to my classrooms. Some places are just very dark even with lights.

That can't be true.

I mean "I never got lost because of the well-planned school".

That suggests that you got lost for some other reason.

It seem I should use the past tense: "Since the school is big and was well-planned, I never got lost or..."

I would forget about talking about getting lost. There doesn't seem to be any reason for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.