Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I don't understand the meaning of the phrase in bold. Is 'bore' the past form of the verb 'to bear'?
He had thrown himself into the arrogant attitude of Velasquez's portrait of Del Borro in the Museum of Berlin;
and his countenance bore of set purpose the same contemptuous smile.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Source and author?

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The Magician (W. S. Maugham)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Early Maugham is full of impenetrable prose. It's really not good material for learners.

I'd forget about that strange sentence and move on.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I agree that a few passages (especially the ones about magic) are uncanny, but the plot itself is quite captivating, and there are lots of descriptions of different types of personality and appearance which I appreciate. Except for Oliver Haddo (the 'magician'), the characters talk just the way people normally do, so we can elicit some commonly used phrases and idioms. Anyway, it's fiction, so I think students can read different types of it, why not?

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes—'bore' is the past tense of 'bear'.

It might be a bit clearer if we straighten out the inversion in the second part of the text:

'... and his countenance bore the same contemptuous smile of set purpose', but it's as clear as mud to me.
:-(

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Yes—'bore' is the past tense of 'bear'.

It might be a bit clearer if we straighten out the inversion in the second part of the text:

'... and his countenance bore the same contemptuous smile of set purpose', but it's as clear as mud to me.
:-(

That's just what I needed, the inversion. I had clearly forgotten about it :-D. So, 'of set purpose' refers to 'contemptuous smile'? I thought it described the action (to bear something 'purposefully').

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The person deliberately copied the smile from the painting.

Last edited by a moderator:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
A small note of caution, englishhobby. If you emulate Maugham too closely you will sound like an upper-crust English person from long ago. Of course there is nothing wrong with that, but English has evolved somewhat since Maugham's day.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
A former girlfriend played me this thirty years ago and it has stayed with me. The end is simply marvellous.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
A small note of caution, englishhobby. If you emulate Maugham too closely you will sound like an upper-crust English person from long ago. Of course there is nothing wrong with that, but English has evolved somewhat since Maugham's day.
Thank you, probus, I also feel it is not the best idea, but, to be honest, I was trying hard to find modern fiction suitable for analysing, and every time either the language or the plot was so complicated, that I gave up the idea. Could you recommend some modern authors (to my shame, I am not familiar with them, just find some randome ones and realize their works are not quite what I need). Are there some modern short stories perhaps, or some short novels, that non-native students of English could read in the original without struggling too much with the vocabulary or plot?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Two of my favorites are Hemingway and Steinbeck. Hemingway especially deserves study because he single-handedly changed the way most people write English. And counter-intuitively, perhaps, he did so by preferring simple vocabulary and short declarative sentences. And in my opinion, nobody has ever written modern English dialogue better than Len Deighton. He's the one who truly reproduces the way people actually talk nowadays.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Samuel Beckett writes pared-down prose full of meaning. You won't have to spend much time in the dictionary, but you will have to think. He's simple, but he's not easy. He is worth the effort, though.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hemingway especially deserves study because he single-handedly changed the way most people write English.
That's possibly a little OTT.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
For the benefit of our learners, OTT means over the top. Anyway, de gustibus non disputandum est.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Unfortunately, the music in the background makes it hard to understand. :-|

It works in my browser- the music dies down and almost disappears.

Status
Not open for further replies.