Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My wife Googled it and found that (as we suspected) tea is wildly popular in Iran. Can't restaurants serve it?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you want hot tea in an American restaurant, that's what you're going to have to ask for - "hot tea". Otherwise, the server will assume you mean ice tea, and then it's just a question of whether you want it sweet or unsweetened. As others have said, ordering hot tea will likely just yield you a small metal teapot and a single bag of generic black tea, most likely orange pekoe. Places specializing in hot tea are not common in the US. Mostly they're a thing of metropolitan areas with large enough Asian populations to have an ethnic enclave section of the city (i.e. Chinatown, Little Seol, etc.). I do think hot tea is slowly becoming more widespread here in the US, but it's still uncommon.

Personal rant: I abhor sweet (cold) tea. Honey is fine in hot tea, especially herbal teas, but ice tea is a Southern perversion. Up until about maybe 8-10 years ago, you didn't have to worry about sweet tea unless you crossed the Mason-Dixon line. Past it, you automatically got sweet tea if you asked for tea, and asking for unsweet tea made you a social pariah on the order of someone who orders their steak well done.

North of the line, restaurants kept sugar out for the oddballs who wanted to add sugar to their tea (or coffee). This was fine, and socially acceptable. I was personally happy with this status quo. I never got blindsided with sweet tea, and if I was traveling in the south, I knew what to expect, and adapted accordingly.

However, sweet tea has become pervasive across the US. Even in my homeland, I now have to specify unsweetened tea. Interestingly enough, with the spread of sweet tea into new territory, I've noticed some vocabulary distinctions that have become common. It's now very common to order "ice tea" if you want sweet tea, and "sweet tea" if you want it sugary. It's an odd distinction, because of course they're both served cold with ice. I think this is likely because it's so hard to differentiate "sweet" and "unsweet", especially when ordering over drive-through speakers of dubious audio quality. I got tired of intentionally over-vocalizing my "UN", and have mostly had success just using "iced".

I don't know who to blame, aside from the American consumer, but I attribute it to laziness and people who can't even be bothered to sweeten their own damn tea. It's less and less common to see sugar out on tables now, as well, which I suppose is a direct correlation. I guess those who want it in their coffee have to ask, but who cares about them.

I'm just a little miffed because if I wanted to stem the tide of sweetened tea, I would just live in the southern US. I shouldn't have to deal with it in the high-plains.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Skrej, you're in the Midwest, right? Here in the Northeast we have to specify hot or iced in the summer but not the rest of the year. Iced is usually not sweetened, but it always pays to say unsweetened to be safe. (Good restaurants ask.)

And in the Northeast it's not just places with with a big Asian influence that have tea shops. They can show up in any trendy or touristy place. The closest one I can think of is in Bar Harbor, a big resort town. It's expensive and terrible.

Coffee digression: Back when I traveled cross-continent a lot, I learned to never ask for a "regular" coffee. I could end up with absolutely anything that way.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Skrej mentioned orange pekoe. For many years I thought that was a variety of tea, as some people probably still do. But it turns out orange pekoe is not a variety. It is a grade of tea.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Skrej mentioned orange pekoe. For many years I thought that was a variety of tea, as some people probably still do. But it turns out orange pekoe is not a variety. It is a grade of tea.
Yup. To be exact, it's the second leaf from the top of the plant. There are other words that give more detail like golden, tippy, broken. and first flush. It gets pretty involved.

The top seven leaves have names:

unnamed.jpg

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Don't entirely blame the sweet tea thing on people being too lazy to sugar their own tea. Sugar dissolves a lot more easily in hot tea than trying to add it to cold.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
My wife Googled it and found that (as we suspected) tea is wildly popular in Iran. Can't restaurants serve it?

That is true. Tea is more popular than coffee here. However, people don't usually drink tea at restaurants. Or at least not the restaurants that I go to.
Generally, we don't have a strong restaurant culture here and you would be surprised to find out fast food restaurants are more popular in my country these days.
Pizzerias and burger restaurants in my country certainly don't serve tea here. That I'm certain about.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To be fair, though, if you order tea in much of the USA you will likely get a miserable little metal pot of hot (or warmish) water with a teabag on the side.
I have a whole article written about this, but I haven't found a publisher who will take it.

And I don't know of anyone who's really attacked the topic since Orwell!

Status
Not open for further replies.