Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

A native speaker told me this phrase "Truth never fears investigation" is understandable. However, it's not idiomatic. I wonder if there's an English version of that.

According to its Chinese meaning, it means "Real gold isn't afrad of fire". It is said that fake gold will melt when put it in fire.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I wouldn't say it's idiomatic, because the words have their normal meanings. The only thing that may be slightly idiomatic about it is the personification of truth. Abstract concepts like truth don't actually experience emotions.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
According to its Chinese meaning, it means "Real gold isn't afriad of fire". It is said that fake gold will melt when put it in fire.

That's a bit misleading - even pure gold will melt around 1063°C. It's just that fake gold will melt at a lower temperature, depending upon what it's alloyed with. Still, even quality gold like 14k - 18k melts in the 815-870°C range. You can achieve that with just a good strong campfire.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Comment is free, but facts are sacred.

CP Scott, first editor of the Guardian newspaper

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't think of an actual idiom, but here are a couple of related quotes:

The truth has nothing to fear from inquiry. Be wary of anyone who would discourage questions. (attributed to several different people - unable to verify who said it first)
The man who fears no truth has nothing to fear from lies. (attributed to Thomas Jefferson)
Truth has no fear. (attributed to AD Williams)
It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry. (attributed to Thomas Paine)
If we have truth, it cannot be harmed by investigation. If we have not truth, it ought to be harmed. (attributed to J. Reuben Clark)

Most of these come from the context of defending or questioning one's religious faith. I wouldn't say any of them are particularly well-known, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.