Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "a continual fetching and carrying on board" mean "a continual fetching (from the store on the island - here the store refers to "the heaviest storage of the Pequod") and carrying (them) on board"?

=====================
At the period of our arrival at the Island, the heaviest storage of the Pequod had been almost completed; comprising her beef, bread, water, fuel, and iron hoops and staves. But, as before hinted, for some time there was a continual fetching and carrying on board of divers odds and ends of things, both large and small.

Moby Dick, by Herman Melville

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The bold text describes people going back and forth, carrying a variety of things of all sizes onto the ship. Note that "divers" is an old way to spell diverse.

Did you know that the little coffee shop chain we know as Starbucks was almost named "Pequods"?

Moby Dick is extremely difficult reading even for native speakers. Are you sure you want to attempt it?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In this context, 'storage' seems to refer to the act of storing and stashing away the new supplies. There was a constant stream of people leaving the ship, getting supplies, and then carrying them back on board to be stored away.

I seriously doubt that the all the supplies came from one single location, given the historical context of the story. They'd have had to go to different places for the various foodstuffs, another for the water, yet another for the fuel, etc. (hence the fetching) and them carry them on board once they got back to the dock with them.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Did you know that the little coffee shop chain we know as Starbucks was almost named "Pequods"?

Moby Dick is extremely difficult reading even for native speakers. Are you sure you want to attempt it?

Okay Starbucks is way too familiar. But do today's people really call it Pequods too?

I will occasionally attempt reading one page or two of Moby Dick to expand my vision of English.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Okay Starbucks is way too familiar. But do today's people really call it Pequods too?
No. One of the people who founded Starbucks was a fan of Moby Dick and looked there for a name for his coffee house. He considered "Pequods" but rejected it.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Have or had you read it through?
About forty years ago I decided I should read it. I got a very nice, leather-bound copy from a book club and spent weeks making my way through it. I remember observing that it was clearly written for a time when readers appreciated books they could devote many hours to for lack of other entertainment and diversions. I myself found it extremely heavy going. Its density was such that it overwhelmed my ability to appreciate the genius it's widely acknowledged to display.

Status
Not open for further replies.