Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Good day!

Can you please help to recommend a paper-based dictionary that focus on verbs used with prepositions?

For example I want to look up and get good understanding and differences about the combinations with "accuse", like "accuse of","accuse for","accuse about","accuse with".

"Accuse of" for what circumstances, and how it's different from "accuse for" etc..

Which dictionary is good for that?

Thank you.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
You can refer to the section under this website called "Grammar & Vocabulary" which includes "phrasal verbs" as one of the topics.

The examples you give are about prepositions to be used with a verb (accuse), and not about phrasal verbs. For prepositions to go with a verb, you look up the verb in any dictionary and refer to the examples. Alternatively, you can try "fraze.it".

Sunshine_duo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
@tedmc, thank you for the fantastic guidance!

I've edited the question to be precise with "prepositions to be used with a verb". It would be great if there's a paper-based dictionary that focus on this aspect. :)

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
With "accuse", the most common preposition is "of".
The use of prepositions does not follow rules. It is something that you acquire and comes naturally from doing a lot of reading.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Good day! Note that this is very old-fashioned. If you really need to open with a greeting, stick with "Hello".

Can you please help to recommend a paper-based dictionary that focuses on which prepositions are used with which verbs? used with prepositions?

For example, I want to look up and get good understanding and understand the differences about between the combinations different prepositions with "accuse", like such as "accuse of","accuse for","accuse about", and "accuse with".

I want to understand in what circumstances we would use "accuse of" for what circumstances, and how it's different from "accuse for" etc.

Which dictionary is good for that?

Thank you. Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any response you find useful.
Please note my comments and corrections above. I don't think there's a physical dictionary that concentrates on that.