Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

I want to say that families in a society were centered around men. Can I use "man-oriented"? What other options do I have? I know I can use patriarchal but I'm looking for other options.

I need something to use in a sentence like this:

In the past, families used to be man-oriented. Men would be the only source of income and they made all the important decisions. But these days, women also work and play a bigger role in the family.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello.

I want to say that families in [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] society [STRIKE]were[/STRIKE] used to be centered around men. Can I use "man-oriented"? What other options do I have? I know I can use "patriarchal" but I'm looking for other options.

I need something to use in a [STRIKE]sentence[/STRIKE] paragraph like this:

In the past, families used to be man-oriented. Men would be the only source of income and they made all the important decisions. But these days, women also work and play a bigger role in the family.

I'd use either "men-oriented" or "male-oriented".

Slightly off-topic: Your final sentence is a rather sweeping statement. There are plenty of cultures/societies in which the role of women hasn't changed, and also plenty in which women play an equal role in the family. If you opened your paragraph by saying which country/society you're talking about, that would help.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In my view, man-oriented, men-oriented and male-oriented are all inappropriate. The correct word is patriarchal. Sometimes you shouldn't waste time looking for alternative options—just use the correct word.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
. . . In the past, families used to be man-oriented. . . .
Often. Not always. You're generalizing way too much.

And a style suggestion: Use In the past or used to be. Not both. It's redundant.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Other possibilities: male-centric, androcentric, male-dominated

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I was about to suggest 'male-dominated', Ted, but I couldn't 'like' the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.