Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
NOTE: AE proctor = BE invigilator

Thanks Rover. I had previously read somewhere that invigilator was a Canadian regionalism. I'm glad to learn that isn't true. I think in our usage the examiners are the ones who set the questions while an invigilator polices the examination room to prevent cheating.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Only one.

It depends entirely on the size of the room. I took my final exams in a hockey arena. There was no ice at the time, but there were several hundred candidates, so there were twenty or more invigilators.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
It depends entirely on the size of the room. I took my final exams in a hockey arena. There was no ice at the time, but there were several hundred candidates, so there were twenty or more invigilators.

If there was only one and I mention him or her for the first time should I still use "the"?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Sorry, but as a native speaker and untrained teacher I am not big on rules. I just go with my gut. Maybe someone else can help you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If there's just one invigilator and you're bringing them into the story for the first time, use the indefinite article. After that, use the definite article.

Yesterday, I took an exam. There was an invigilator in the room. The invigilator kept looking at his watch and tapping its face. He was starting to annoy me and making me nervous. When the exam finished, I said to my friend "Did you notice the invigilator kept tapping his watch? It was so annoying!"

Status
Not open for further replies.