Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Are these sentences correct?

1) He ate the beans cold, which is strange because he had a pan to heat them in.

2) He witnessed the accident and didn't do anything, which is strange because he had a phone in his pocket to call the police.

3) Someone broke into his house. He had a rifle to shoot the intruder, but decided not to use it. He hid in the bathroom and called the police.

Merry Christmas.

Gratefully,
Navi

Last edited by a moderator:

navi tasan

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Thank you very much, Rover,

That other thread was started by my wife. The answer she got did make sense, but it wasn't clear for either of us whether the structure used in it was grammatical or not. That's why I tried to come up with more viable examples based on her idea. I might have failed.

The question is whether "he had a phone in his pocket to call the police" could be used instead of 'he had a phone in his pocket with which he could call the police".

The latter formulation might be clearer, but it is longer. Is the infinitival structure incorrect in these cases? That was the question.

Respectfully,
Navi

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I know I've said this before, but I'll say it again. You don't have to put everything in one sentence, and, in fact, sometimes it's better if you don't.

As for your "police" sentence, I would say: "he had a phone in his pocket with which he could have called the police."

Except I wouldn't say that. It would be more natural, in my opinion, to say:

He witnessed the accident, but he didn't call the cops even though he had a phone in his pocket and could have.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Now let's look at the "pan" sentence. Try:

He ate the beans cold, which is strange because he had a pan he could have heated them in.

The original seems to say the purpose of the pan was for heating the beans.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Now let's look at the "rifle" sentence. Try:

Someone broke into his house. He had a rifle, and he could have shot the intruder, but instead of doing that he hid in the bathroom and called the police.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Yes, but you need a pan and a heat source.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Are these sentences correct?
That other thread was started by my wife. The answer she got did make sense, but it wasn't clear for either of us whether the structure used in it was grammatical or not.

The latter formulation might be clearer, but it is longer. Is the infinitival structure incorrect in these cases? That was the question.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'correct/incorrect' and 'grammatical'. You'd be better off asking how well the sentences without the prepositions express the speaker's meaning.

Use the prepositions. As lingobingo told you in the other thread, the version with the prepositions read much better. I can't see what more information you need. What do you mean by 'incorrect'?

Status
Not open for further replies.