Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Good day!
I have translated an article. Correct me please.
A barge carrying a crane tore down a high-voltage wire which fell down into the river Tura near Tyumen, Russia, and killed all fisn around. Site 72.ru reports about it.
"The arm of crane tore down the high-voltage wire. The wire fell down into Tura. Our workers were on the iron bridge at that moment. They had seen a very bright flash before fish surfaced. They tell the people was standing on the barge under the crane had died." - has told the general director of ferriage Artur Sulimanov.
The Emergency Ministry of Russia has confirmed the information about accident. Its employees visited the place of accident. There are victims among the people according to unconfirmed reports. Authorities don't comment this information.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
A barge carrying a crane tore down a high-voltage wire which fell down into the river Tura near Tyumen, Russia, and killed/electrocuted all the fish there, according to 72.ru. [STRIKE]around. Site 72.ru reports about it.[/STRIKE]
"The [STRIKE]arm of[/STRIKE] crane's beam tore down the high-voltage wire, [STRIKE]The wire[/STRIKE] which then fell [STRIKE]down[/STRIKE] into the Tura. Our workers were on the iron bridge at that moment. They [STRIKE]had seen[/STRIKE] saw a very bright flash before the dead fish surfaced. They tell the people was standing on the barge under the crane had died." - has told the general director of [STRIKE]ferriage[/STRIKE] ferry services, Artur Sulimanov.
The Emergency Ministry of Russia has confirmed the [STRIKE]information[/STRIKE] report about the accident, and its [STRIKE]employees[/STRIKE] staff visited the scene.[STRIKE]place of accident.[/STRIKE] There are victims among the people according to unconfirmed reports. Authorities [STRIKE]don't[/STRIKE] haven't commented about that. [STRIKE]this information.[/STRIKE]
I don't understand the parts in blue.

Fatdog

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you!
Shame on me! :oops:

Fatdog

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
May I ask any questions?

Our workers
were on the iron bridge at that moment.
"Staff of the company where i work were on the iron bridge at that moment" is correct?

They tell the people was standing on the barge under the crane had died." - has told...
"They report that the people located on the barge under the crane had died" - has reported... " is correct?

There are victims among the people according...
"There are killed and injured among the people according..." is correct?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
May I ask [STRIKE]any[/STRIKE] some questions?

Our workers were on the iron bridge at that moment.
Is "Some of the staff [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] from the company where I work were on the iron bridge at that moment" [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] correct? With my changes, yes.

They tell the people was standing on the barge under the crane had died." - has told... Definitely not "has told". It would be "have told" with "They" but "tell" is simply the wrong verb here.
Is "They report that the people located on the barge under the crane [STRIKE]had[/STRIKE] have died" [STRIKE]- has reported... [/STRIKE]" [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] correct? Use "have died" with "They report". You could use "had died" with "They reported".

There are victims among the people according...
Is "There are killed and injured among the people according..." [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] correct?
I'd use "There are fatalities and casualties".

See above.

You need to remember how to construct a question. Don't ask "XXX is correct?". Ask "Is XXX correct?"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.