Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.
Are "advanced kids/students", "level" correct in my sentences?

1. "She teaches advanced kids/students".

2. "She teaches (kids/students) at advanced level."

3."She teaches advanced level kids/students."

Should there be an article before "advanced level?" "At the/a advanced level?"

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
A lot of your questions have been explicitly about British usage. In England "Advanced Levels", normally abbreviated to "A levels" are a set of examinations normally taken at age 18.

If writing for an English audience you need to be clear whether you are referring to the examinations or to experienced students.

I would only use "kids" in informal communications otherwise always "pupils", if at school, or "students".

If referring to the exams you wouldn't normally use an article, othewise an article is usually advisable.

Your third sentence is natural to a British reader if you mean "She teaches A level students".

With those caveats all three versions would sound natural to a BrE speaker.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Use sentence 3. If writing, you ought to hyphenate the compound adjective advanced-level.

I'm assuming that you're talking about the kids' level of EFL/ESL, and that your listener knows that.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Use sentence 3. If writing, you ought to hyphenate the compound adjective advanced-level.

I'm assuming that you're talking about the kids' level of EFL/ESL, and that your listener knows that.

To return to the English examination, I did check on hyphenation. Some sources do hyphenate as A-level but recent government publications about the 2020 results do not.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
To return to the English examination, I did check on hyphenation. Some sources do hyphenate as A-level but recent government publications about the 2020 results do not.

I wasn't talking about A-levels, I was talking about the compound adjective advanced-level in reference to an ESL learner's competence in English. (I think that's what Rachel Adams means but I may well be wrong.)

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"A Level" is a name. The general compound adjective "advanced-level" applicable all subjects of study is hyphenated and requires an indefinite article.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

Yes, I am talking about ESL.

So "She teaches A level students"="She teaches advanced-level students". I am talking about exams.

But "She teaches students whose level of English is advanced"= "She teaches advanced students". "She teaches students at (an) advanced level." I am talking about ESL.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
She's only teaching A Level students if her students will be taking the British English exams known as "GCSE A Levels". If they're taking any other kind of exam, they're "advanced-level students".

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
She's only teaching A Level students if her students will be taking the British English exams known as "GCSE A Levels". If they're taking any other kind of exam, they're "advanced-level students".
Including ESL or IELTS. Am I right? As I wrote here

"She teaches students whose level of English is advanced"= "She teaches advanced students". "She teaches students at (an) advanced level." I am talking about ESL. She is teaching advanced-level students.

Status
Not open for further replies.