Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I am wondering if my sentences are grammatically correct.

After spending the night at the pub, a hospital manager decided to drop into the hospital to see how the personnel were doing. He opened the door of his office, and was stunned to see a nurse making love with an unknown man. Embarrassed, the naked lover jumped out of the bed, wrapped himself in a blanket and rushed outside. And the nurse, who was in her forties and married, stood blushing in front of the manager. "I know what you're thinking, "she said, "but nights are so long..."

Last edited:

sammol

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Germany
After spending the night in the pub, a hospital manager decided to drop into his work to see how the personnel were doing. He opened the door of his office and was stunned to see a nurse making love to an unknown man. Embarrassed, the naked lover jumped out of the bed, wrapped himself in a blanket and rushed outside. The nurse - who was in her forties and married - stood blushing in front of the manager. "I know what you're thinking," she said, "but the nights are so long..."

I've highlighted my suggested changes in bold... Hope this helps! (Also- is it normal for hospital managers to have beds in their office? :-?)

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I am wondering if my sentences are grammatically correct.

After spending the night at the pub, a hospital manager decided to drop [STRIKE]into[/STRIKE] by the hospital to see how the personnel were doing. He opened the door of his office, and was stunned to see a nurse making love with an unknown man. Embarrassed, the naked lover jumped [STRIKE]out of the bed[/STRIKE] off the sofa, wrapped himself in a blanket and rushed outside. [STRIKE]And[/STRIKE] The nurse, who was in her forties and married, stood blushing in front of the manager. "I know what you're thinking, "she said, "but the nights are so long..."

"Drop by" means to visit informally.

He said he would drop by her house if he had the time.

It would be a very rare situation where a manager would have a bed in their office. I did once work for one company that had a nap room. It was a software company and the work hours were very flexible. However, a manager might have a sofa in his office. You could also use "couch" even "chesterfield". In Canada we use "chesterfield" but that is losing favour to "sofa" now. AE would probably use "couch"

Status
Not open for further replies.