Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello, I am a second-year student of English Studies. I was asked to prepare a presentetion about a famous person from UK or US who has a specific accent that differs from a standard pronunciation. Firstly I chose James Hetfield but it turned out to be a wrong decision, because my teacher said he's accent isn't much different and I had to throw away all my work. Now I decided to pick an interview with Amy McDonald who has a Scottish accent. However, there are some moment's in that interview that are illegible for me. I would like to ask you, native speakers to find out what she's saying.
That's a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOOwCLx4H7o
And that are those moments:
0:46-0:51. It sounds like what?
0:55-1:00. It's a song about kind of despeeding?
1:14-1:18 - just standing near the Hallway through?
1:25-1:30 Something that I can delete to?
1:30-1:33 Song sounds upbeat?
1:40-1:45 escape from things?
1:45-1:48 They don't need to be a main what?
I would be very grateful, if somebody helped me. I have to do that for tomorrow and all my work has been thrown away. :(

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello Terminat, and welcome to the forum. :)

Hello, I am a second-year student of English studies. I was asked to prepare a presentation about a famous person from the UK or the US who has a specific accent that differs from standard pronunciation. Firstly, I chose James Hetfield, but it turned out to be a wrong decision, because my teacher said [STRIKE]he's[/STRIKE] his accent isn't much different, and I had to throw away all my work. Now, I've decided to pick an interview with Amy McDonald who has a Scottish accent. However, there are some moments in that interview that are [STRIKE]illegible for[/STRIKE] unintelligible to me. I would like to ask you, native speakers, to find out what she's saying.

[STRIKE]That's[/STRIKE]Here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOOwCLx4H7o

And that are those moments:
0:46-0:51. It sounds like what? [It sounds like this exciting bold song that you would go out and dance to]
0:55-1:00. It's a song about kind of despeeding? [It's a song about kind of (kinda) despairing]
1:14-1:18 - just standing near the Hallway through?[just standing there the whole way through]
1:25-1:30 Something that I can delete to?[it's something that I totally could relate to]
1:30-1:33 Song sounds upbeat?[there is a lot of my songs that sound really upbeat]
1:40-1:45 escape from things?[music is an escape and and people are trying to escape things in life]
1:45-1:48 They don't need to be a main what? [and they don't need to be reminded that everything is terrible]
I would be very grateful if somebody helped me. I have to do that for tomorrow and all my work has been thrown away.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was curious, so I found an interview of James Hetfield. He speaks with a typical southern California accident which is about as mainstream American as you could find. If you're interested in a rarer, more challenging American accident, try this.

Terminat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you very much, and thank you for correcting my mistakes of which I wasn't aware of. I'm glad that I found this forum. I can learn many things from you guys.
@Goes Station, What is this accent called?

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's Appalachian dialect as recorded in 1963 in Boone, North Carolina. I'm not sure you'd hear anyone nowadays stretching out their vowels quite as long as Ray Hicks did, but you can still easily find people -- even young people -- using much of the same vocabulary and similar pronunciation. I used to enjoy visiting some ex in-laws in southeastern Kentucky just to hear them talk. "It" is often pronounced hit (which sounds like hee-it) and "ain't" as haint ("h-eye-nt"); things are a-goin' on. It's a dialect which I'm sure would be utterly baffling not only to foreigners but also to many Americans.

In the early Eighties I had a conversation with a ten-year-old boy on the Virginia-West Virginia border. He was telling me about a "fire" that happened every year at the place where we were chatting. I thought it was odd that a conflagration could be so predictable, but eventually I resolved that word as fair: we were on the county fairgrounds. His pronunciation was a reminder that the word was once pronounced much the way it's spelled.

You can read transcriptions of a bunch of similar stories in The Jack Tales. I recommend it highly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.