Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In addtion to the question of dimentions, string theory suffered from another awkward issue: There appeared to be at least five different theories and millions of ways the extra dimentions could be curled up, which was quite an embarrassment of possibilities for those advocating that string theory was the unique theory of everything.

Source: The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking (p.185)

As I was thinking of the ideas that Hawking expressed about string theory, I remembered it as "which was quite an embarrassment for those advocating that string theory was the unique theory of everything."

I scratched my head about the function of using "of possibilities" there. Can it simply be removed without affecting the grammar or rhetoric? I guess the usage might be a euphemism to imply that such an embarrassment is not that strong. I am not sure.

What does "of possibIMG_5193.jpgilities" mean here? Can it be deleted altogether?

Last edited by a moderator:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
There are too many possibilities that contradict the string theory that it becomes embarrasing for those advocating it.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
To further back up 5jj's assertion, here's a definition from thefreedictionary.com: 'an overabundance: an embarrassment of choices at a buffet dinner; an embarrassment of riches'.

Status
Not open for further replies.