Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi there. Would you please proofread the following text? Any help would be appreciated.

Gan, Jingying noticed their nervousness and almost wished Gan had given Yang more time, but it was what it was. Jingying said, “Ahh, Qingmei, welcome, our home is your home”.

Qingmei felt the warmth of the greeting, of these people; those, that would soon be family. “Thank you, Mother.”

Jingying ushered the young couple into the living room, and Yang led Qingmei to a sofa, one of four two-seaters that were arranged in a square around a square table. Jingying had decided to host an informal dinner in the comfort of the living room, a much more relaxing setting. Jingying and Gan sat in the sofa opposite, and Qingmei noticed that Lanhua sat on the sofa closest to her. Lanhua said, “You’re so pretty, Qingmei”.

Qingmei smiled. “Even more pretty than in your dream?”

For a moment everyone went quiet, but it was quickly realised that Qingmei meant no rebuke, it was just her way, her direct way of saying that she knew about the dream that Lanhua had had of her.

Lanhua replied. “I couldn’t see your every feature, just enough to recognise you.”

Lanhua diplomatically left her answer simple, she didn’t want to embarrass Qingmei by adding that her dream showed Qingmei and Yang kissing on there way over this very night.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi there. Would you please proofread the following text? Any help would be appreciated.

Yang and Jingying noticed their nervousness and almost wished Gan had given Yang more time, but it was too late for that. Jingying said, “Ahh, Qingmei, welcome! Our home is your home”.

Qingmei felt the warmth of the greeting, of these people who would soon be his family. “Thank you, Mother.”

Jingying ushered the young couple into the living room, and Yang led Qingmei to a sofa, one of four two-seaters that were arranged in a square around a square table. Jingying had decided to host an informal dinner in the comfort of the living room, a much more relaxing setting. Jingying and Gan sat in the sofa opposite, and Qingmei noticed that Lanhua sat on the sofa closest to her. Lanhua said, “You’re so pretty, Qingmei”.

Qingmei smiled. “Even prettier than in your dream?”

For a moment everyone went quiet, but it was quickly realised that Qingmei meant no rebuke
I
t was just her way, her direct way of saying that she knew about the dream that Lanhua had had of her.

Lanhua replied. “I couldn’t see your every feature, just enough to recognise you.”

Lanhua diplomatically left her answer simple. She didn’t want to embarrass Qingmei by adding that her dream showed Qingmei and Yang kissing on the way over there that very night.

Two things. One, I have a hard time figuring out who you are referring to in the first sentence by "their nervousness". Two, I would say the living room was a more relaxed setting than the dining room would have been (if that's what you mean).

Last edited:

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Two things. One, I have a hard time figuring out who you are referring to in the first sentence by "their nervousness". Two, I would say the living room was a more setting than the dining room would have been (if that's what you mean).

1. Here "their nervousness" refers to Yang and Qingmei's nervourness, a pair of lovers. Yang invited Qingmei over to his home to have an informal dinner with his family.
2. I mean the living room is a more relaxing setting that makes Qingmei feel comfortable and be at ease.
3. The word "there" in the last sentence is a typo. I mean: ...on their way over this very night. Perhaps I also can say: ...on the way here over this very night.

By the way, Qingmei is a girl, so it should be: ...who would be her family.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I meant to say "more relaxed setting" but for some reason I left out an important word. (I fixed it in the original.) A more relaxed setting is one that is less formal and thus possibly creates less tension.

Status
Not open for further replies.