Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Are the parts marked by asterisks natural?

I live in a small city and there are many birds *around*: pigeons, swallows, doves, *and others.* Pigeon -is a symbol of freedom. It's considered to bring good luck and peace.
Crows, all over the world -are the type of birds that are considered *unlucky.* (I mean bring bad luck) My country's national bird is the pheasant. They live in the Caucasus and the Balkans.

Is the article optional before "Caucasus" and "Balkans"?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Pigeons -is are a symbol of freedom.
or
Pigeons -is a symbolize of freedom.

It's They're considered to bring good luck and peace.
We generally use the plural when we're talking about something in general, because we are not talking about one instance/member of that thing.
Crows, all over the world are the type of birds that are considered unlucky. (I mean they bring bad luck). My country's national bird is the pheasant.

They live in the Caucasus and the Balkans.
You can also say "It's native/endemic/confined to the Caucasus and the Balkans".
Is the article optional before "Caucasus" and "Balkans"?
No. It is required. You can drop it if you're using "Balkan" as an adjective. For example:
I love Balkan folk music.
I don't think it works for "Caucasus" because the adjective "Caucasian" is then used.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
or

We generally use the plural when we're talking about something in general, because we are not talking about one instance/member of that thing.

You can also say "It's native/endemic/confined to the Caucasus and the Balkans".

No. It is required. You can drop it if you're using "Balkan" as an adjective. For example:
I love Balkan folk music.
I don't think it works for "Caucasus" because the adjective "Caucasian" is then used.
You said: "We generally use the plural when we're talking about something in general, because we are not talking about one instance/member of that thing". If I used "Pigeons are the symbol of peace." Would it work as a generalisation with the definite article?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
If I used "Pigeons are the symbol of peace" would it work as a generalisation with the definite article?
The definite article makes them the only symbol of peace. If you want to make a more open statement, use "a symbol of peace".

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
You could also say "The pigeon is a symbol of freedom (in Georgia/the Caucasus)". Here, "the pigeon" means "Pigeons (in general)".

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
It's more likely to be a symbol of peace than freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.