Ava wanted give her husband a strong scolding but she had to damp down her criticism in front of their children.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I want to say a person doesn't want to criticize another person so strongly in front of other people. Can I use "damp down"? Is this correct and natural?

Ava wanted give her husband a strong scolding but she had to damp down her criticism in front of their children.

What other ways are there to express the idea?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First, I would use "too" instead of "so". Second, your sentence is excellent.
👍

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't find "strong scolding" natural. Also, adults don't usually scold each other. The word is generally reserved for what parents/teachers do to children.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
How about " she restrained herself (from blurting out) in front of her children"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How about "... she restrained herself (from blurting out criticism) in front of her children"?
"Blurt out" is transitive. Also, that changes the meaning. Yours makes it sound as if she didn't say anything at all. The original suggests that she moderated her tone/words because her children were there but she still criticised her husband.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Reprimand, rebuke.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"Blurt out" is transitive. Also, that changes the meaning. Yours makes it sound as if she didn't say anything at all. The original suggests that she moderated her tone/words because her children were there but she still criticised her husband.
Being restrained from saying something does not mean that one doesn't say anything at all.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Ana was very annoyed with her husband but she forced herself to speak in a moderate tone because the children were with them.
Ana wanted to give her husband a piece of her mind but spoke calmly as the children were with them.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Being restrained from saying something does not mean that one doesn't say anything at all.
It does.

I wanted to buy those shoes but I restrained myself.
She wanted to shout at her son but she restrained herself.

In both cases, the thing the person wanted to do wasn't done.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
While I agree with emsr2d2's examples, I do see Ted's point too. There's a fine difference between "She restrained herself" and "She spoke with restraint". Sometimes people might restrain themselves from saying exactly what they want but still say something more moderate.

Status
Not open for further replies.