Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello,

I'd like to address one of the complicated matters of English volabulary usage connected with the usage of "revenge", "avenge", and similar words meaning inflicting injury or wrong.

1) Her father wanted to take revenge/take vengeance [on/upon] hooligans who had tried to kidnap her.

2) Her father wanted to avenge himself / revenge himself [on/upon] hooligans who had tried to kidnap her.

3) Her father wanted to avenge/revenge hooligans who had tried to kidnap her.

4) Her father wanted to avenge/revenge the attempt to kidnap her.

Are all these sentences correct?

My biggest doubts are about #3.

Thanks

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
None of your sentences are correct as they do not end in full stops. You must get into the habit of using correct punctuation.

Have you looked at the Similar Threads below?

Rover

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
None of your sentences are correct as they do not end in full stops. You must get into the habit of using correct punctuation.

Have you looked at the Similar Threads below?

Rover

I've made the corrections and seen the similar threads. Still I've given a bit different sentences and would like to kindly ask you to help me find out whether they're right or wrong. I have greatest doubts about #3.

Thanks

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1) Her father wanted to take revenge/take vengeance [on/upon] hooligans who had tried to kidnap her. All variations are acceptable.

2) Her father wanted to avenge himself / revenge himself [on/upon] hooligans who had tried to kidnap her.' Stick with 'avenge'. 'Revenge' is little used as a verb nowadays.

3) Her father wanted to avenge/revenge hooligans who had tried to kidnap her.:cross:

4) Her father wanted to avenge[STRIKE]/revenge[/STRIKE] the attempt to kidnap her.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.