Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hey, do you think the phrase "belittle someone" only works for saying "to put down, or to make another person feel as though they aren't important" which a dictionary stated or do you also think it works for "saying things to make someone feel physically small or weak"?
Me and my native learning partner feel like it works the latter way but would like to know your opinion.
An example sentence for the latter meaning would be: "They called me piggy again. They're belittling me!"

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I can't agree with you and your partner. First, the dictionary is correct: to belittle someone is to say that they are insignificant, of little or no importance. Second, I've never seen or heard anyone use belittle to describe physical size or strength.

By the way you and all learners should bookmark onelook.com. It gives the definition of a word from many dictionaries.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you're mocking them in any way, you're belittling them. I don't have a problem with your suggested usage of 'belittle', especially considering definition #2 here.

ghoul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
If you're mocking them in any way, you're belittling them. I don't have a problem with your suggested usage of 'belittle', especially considering definition #2 here.
I saw that and wasn't sure if that definition included physical size because the example was made for an abstract thing.

I can't agree with you and your partner. I've never seen or heard anyone use belittle to describe physical size or strength.
Do you know another word that works for what I'm looking for?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Me and My native learning partner and I
Note my correction above. Also, I'm not sure what a "native learning partner" is. Do you mean that your learning partner is a native English speaker?

ghoul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Note my correction above. Also, I'm not sure what a "native learning partner" is. Do you mean that your learning partner is a native English speaker?
Exactly. I Should've perhaps been less ambiguous with my wording.
The correction you made was due to my variant lacking manners, right?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
belittle - disparage, run down, deprecate, depreciate, denigrate

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Saying that a construction 'lack manners' is not natural. Yours was incorrect.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hey, do you think the phrase "belittle someone" only works for saying "to put down, or to make another person feel as though they aren't important" which a dictionary stated or do you also think it works for "saying things to make someone feel physically small or weak"?

That's the same thing. You can't make someone physically smaller. If you belittle someone, you make them feel small. It's metaphor, where 'small=unimportant'

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. It's because "Me and my learning partner ..." is grammatically incorrect and "My learning partner and I ..." is grammatically correct. It's that simple.

ghoul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
That's the same thing. You can't make someone physically smaller. If you belittle someone, you make them feel small. It's metaphor, where 'small=unimportant'
Yes, you cannot make someone physically smaller, but you can make them very self-conscious about their lack of size and strength by constantly bringing it up in the form of insults. And I'd argue the victim of that insult may not feel unimportant because of it but rather ashamed or frustrated due to becoming aware of their powerlessness in changing their physique. At least, that's what I had in mind for my victim.
Saying that a construction 'lack manners' is not natural. Yours was incorrect.
No. It's because "Me and my learning partner ..." is grammatically incorrect and "My learning partner and I ..." is grammatically correct. It's that simple.
I vaguely remember a rule like that but I've forgotten about it by now because I've heard the phrase "me and..." so often. I could've sworn that the reason why people mention the other person first was der-Esel-nennt-sich-immer-zuerst. Does even "I and my learning partner" sound unnatural to you?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
My partner and I agree on this. Correct.
I and My partner and I agree on this. We prefer to put the first-person pronoun second.
My partner and me agree on this. You'll hear it, but the first-person pronoun me is not grammatical.
Me and my partner agree on this You'll hear it, but the first-person pronoun me is not grammatical. We prefer to put the first-person pronoun second.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I and My partner and I agree on this. We prefer to put the first-person pronoun second.
@5jj I don't think the italic part is what you meant to write.