Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Source : EBS Korean SAT Reading Practice, 216p, Mini Test 3-15

In my research with Liane Young and James Dungan of Boston College, we studied the effects of loyalty on people using Amazon’s Mechanical Turk, an online marketplace where users earn money for completing tasks. At the beginning of the study, we asked some participants to write an essay about loyalty and others to write about fairness. Later in the study, they were each exposed to poor work by someone else. Those who had received the loyalty nudge were less willing to blow the whistle on a fellow user for inferior performance. This finding complements research showing that bribery is more common in countries that prize collectivism. The sense of group belonging and interdependence among members often leads people to tolerate the offense. It makes them feel less accountable for it, diffusing responsibility to the collective whole instead of assigning it to the individual. In short, empathy for those within one’s immediate circle can conflict with justice for all

In this passage, what do the bold words "bribe" and "offense" mean? Did the participants for the loyalty essay get bribe from the requester for good content?
So did they overlook any fake content in each other's essays?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Have you tried consulting a dictionary? In the passage you quoted, both of those words are used with their ordinary usual meanings.

Your second and third questions make no sense. The pasage is not about an actual case of bribery. It describes the conclusions of scholarly research on attitudes towards bribery in various cultures.

Last edited by a moderator:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
"This finding" seems to refer to the participants' willingness not to tell on fellows users? So I thought it's not about research results but their tendency toward their fellows. I'm sorry I still don't get what you mean. What does "loyalty nudge" mean?

Those who had received the loyalty nudge were less willing to blow the whistle on a fellow user for inferior performance. This finding complements research showing that bribery is more common in countries that prize collectivism.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Have you tried consulting a dictionary? In the passage you quoted, both of those words are used with their ordinary usual meanings.

Your second and third questions make no sense. The paasage is not about an actual case of bribery. It describes the conclusions of scholarly research on attitudes towards bribrry in various cultures.
Please refer to the above answer.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The phrase "loyalty nudge" doesn't mean anything by itself. Indeed, if I hadn't just read that article I would have no idea what it means.

Their finding was that those who are more loyal to their fellow students are also more willing to tolerate bribery. Is your interpretation different from mine?