Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Source: https://chatsworthconsulting.com/2020/09/15/an-attitude-of-hope-2/

The other day I was interviewed by a reporter who was writing an article about how best to find a job after being laid off by. We talked about many specific skills and tasks, and then we hit what I believe to be, in many ways, at the core of the issue. “It’s important to not lose hope, to stay as positive as one can. It’s important to build practices and support systems to help keep hope alive,” I shared. “An attitude of possibilities and a strong attachment to hope helps many people get through the challenge of looking.”

What does "practices" mean here?

Thanks!

Jason

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It refers to the standard, accepted procedure of doing something.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
The other day I was interviewed by a reporter who was writing an article about how best to find a job after being laid off. [STRIKE]by.[/STRIKE]
Note the correction above. There should be no "by". It's just "laid off".
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/lay-off

As for your main question, you should always consult a reliable dictionary first to see if you can work out the meaning of any vocabulary. As a little exercise for you, take a look at the link below, and tell us which entry fits the meaning of "practice" in the context above.
https://www.lexico.com/definition/practice

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The other day I was interviewed by a reporter who was writing an article about how best to find a job after being laid off. [STRIKE]by.[/STRIKE]

We talked about many specific skills and tasks, and then we hit what I believe to be, in many ways, [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] the core of the issue.

“It’s important to not lose hope, to stay as positive as one can. It’s important to build practices and support systems to help keep hope alive,” I shared. “An attitude of possibilities and a strong attachment to hope helps many people get through the challenge of looking.”

Thanks!

Jason

Note my corrections to your first two sentences.

If you were the person who shared those words, as the piece suggests, you must have known what they meant!

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
That's exactly what I thought when I read the first post, but the text is actually taken from link - they aren't jason's words.

:)

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
If you were the person who shared those words, as the piece suggests, you must have known what they meant!
No. Jason took all that text from the website he cited.
[cross-posted]

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Fair enough. I didn't open the link. I assumed jasonlulu really had been interviewed and the interview transcript was in the link!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Source: https://chatsworthconsulting.com/2020/09/15/an-attitude-of-hope-2/

The other day I was interviewed by a reporter who was writing an article about how best to find a job after being laid off by. We talked about many specific skills and tasks, and then we hit what I believe to be, in many ways, at the core of the issue. “It’s important to not lose hope, to stay as positive as one can. It’s important to build practices and support systems to help keep hope alive,” I shared. “An attitude of possibilities and a strong attachment to hope helps many people get through the challenge of looking.”

Thanks!

Jason
As I read it, it means habits and activities.

Status
Not open for further replies.