... but it has manifested on Xi’s watch, so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

utsavviradiya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Gujarati
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The following is a phone talk. So, my question is, do you think the usage of "so to speak" was correct, and more importantly, was it even needed if yes, why? Would it mean the same if the phrase was omitted altogether? The link to the article is here if needed.

Que: There has been a lot of analysis indicating that Xi has brought about a new era in Chinese politics. Has China also entered a new military era?

Ans: In the past decade, the Chinese military has definitely entered a new era, but it reflects a series of decisions made earlier. In the late nineties, in the aftermath of the accidental bombing of the Chinese Embassy in Kosovo, during the air war there, a decision was made to modernize the Chinese military and completely reinvest in all platforms, across all systems. That kicked off well before Xi Jinping became General Secretary and chairman of the Central Military Commission. That dedication to building a modern military preceded Xi, but it has manifested on Xi’s watch, so to speak. [Answer to be continued]

Last edited:

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
do you think the usage of "so to speak" was correct, and more importantly, was it even needed
I agree it wasn't really needed. But I can understand why the writer used it. It was probably because "manifested" is more usually used for things like symptoms or traits or attitude, while here it's used for a specific development, or the results of a decision.
Would it mean the same if the phrase was omitted altogether?
Yes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.