Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Can I omit ''it is'' before the part in bold?

''Learning foreign languages is important and it's good if you study the languages of neighbouring countries, but not as important as English.''

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your sentence reduces to ''Learning foreign languages is important, but not as important as English.'' I think you can see that that's not logical.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Your sentence reduces to ''Learning foreign languages is important, but not as important as English.'' I think you can see that that's not logical.

''Foreign languages'' are mentioned and it's understood that English is a foreign language as well.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree with GoesStation. You're saying "Learning foreign languages isn't as important as English". That doesn't make sense and it's not what the original is trying to imply. It needs to express that learning foreign languages is important but it's most important to learn English.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I agree with GoesStation. You're saying "Learning foreign languages isn't as important as English". That doesn't make sense and it's not what the original is trying to imply. It needs to express that learning foreign languages is important but it's most important to learn English.

I must have misunderstood GoesStation's answer. So to make my sentence logical I should include another part in bold ''Learning foreign languages is important and it's good if you study the languages of neighbouring counries, but not it is not as important as learning English.''

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I must have misunderstood GoesStation's answer. So to make my sentence logical I should include another part in bold: ''Learning foreign languages is important and it's good if you study the languages of neighbouring counries, but [STRIKE]not[/STRIKE] it is not as important as learning English.''
That works if you're in a country where English is not a foreign language.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with all the comments above. You might mean you think that English is the most important language to learn. That would make sense.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I agree with all the comments above. You might mean you think that English is the most important language to learn. That would make sense.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. It is a good idea to learn other languages, but learning English is more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.