Can 'conclude' mean 'come to a conclusion' and 'draw a conclusion'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Both cases use sense 1 from the dictionary entry.

mrwroc

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Maybe I will ask in a different way. In the Cambridge Dictionary the word 'conclude' is translated to Polish as: 'dojść do wniosku' <-- the Polish phrase.
'dojść do wniosku' it means in English 'come to a conclusion'. I doubt this translation is correct, because it would mean 'conclude' = 'come to a conclusion' and I can change the sentence below:
1. The report concluded that the drug was safe.
to the following sentence:
2. The report came to a conclusion that the drug was safe.
But, maybe I am wrong and the second sentence is correct and 'conclude' and 'come to a conclusion' mean the same. Could you tell me?

conclude verb (DECIDE)

to decide something after studying all the information about it very carefully

dochodzić do wniosku[ + that ] The report concluded that the drug was safe.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/pl/dictionary/english-polish/conclude

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[STRIKE]Maybe[/STRIKE] I will ask in a different way. In the Cambridge Dictionary, the word 'conclude' is translated to Polish as: 'dojść do wniosku,' a Polish phrase.
'Dojść do wniosku' [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] means in English 'come to a conclusion'. I doubt this translation is correct, because it would mean 'conclude' = 'come to a conclusion' and I can change the sentence below:
1. The report concluded that the drug was safe.
to the following sentence:
2. The report came to a conclusion that the drug was safe.

That's right. You can.

But, maybe I am wrong and the second sentence is correct and 'conclude' and 'come to a conclusion' mean the same. Could you tell me?

conclude verb (DECIDE)

I wouldn't say conclude means decide. The report didn't decide something. It concluded something.

The answer to the question in your subject line is yes.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Bear in mind that a report can't come to a conclusion about anything. The author(s) of the report came to the conclusion. Having said that, for me, "concluded that" and "came to the conclusion that" mean the same.
The only other reading of "concluded" would be "ended" and that makes no sense.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Maybe I will ask in a different way. In the Cambridge Dictionary the word 'conclude' is translated to Polish as: 'dojść do wniosku' <-- the Polish phrase.
'dojść do wniosku' it means in English 'come to a conclusion'. I doubt this translation is correct, because it would mean 'conclude' = 'come to a conclusion'

In some contexts, conclude can be translated into Polish as dojść do wniosku.
In some contexts, dojść do wniosku can be translated into English as come to a conclusion.
In some contexts in English, there is little significant difference in meaning between conclude and come to a conclusion.

This does not mean that conclude and come to a conclusion are always interchangeable - extremely few word/expressions in English are.

Status
Not open for further replies.