Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi teachers.

I have a question. I learn in school that the verb "mind" is one of the verb that requires a following "V-ing".

For example: I do not mind waiting. This sentence sounds normal. But since we can also form a negative form for these special verbs by adding "not" behind like " I avoid not doing that". Can we also use I mind not waiting for you?

Thank you.

Hi teachers.

I have a question. I learn in school that the verb "mind" is one of the verbs that [STRIKE]requires a following[/STRIKE] follows the form "V-ing".

For example: I do not mind waiting. This sentence sounds normal. But [STRIKE]since[/STRIKE] we can also [STRIKE]form [/STRIKE] have a negative form for these special verbs by adding "not" behind, like " I avoid not doing that". Can we also use "I mind not waiting for you"?

Thank you.

No, you say: I do mind/do not mind waiting for you.

Last edited:
Hi Tedmc

Thank you for your answer. But I am still very confused about when to use auxiliary verb "do" and when to use "not" when forming a negative in these verbs

Agree
Attempt
Claim
Decide
Demand
Desire
Expect
Fail
Forget
Plan

For example: we usually say "I don't expect to know the outcome", but also I hear "I expect not to see him again" or I don't expect to see him again"

Thanks

To make the negative of these verbs, or any other non-auxiliary verb, you must use don't before them. I don't mind going.

If you follow with not and another verb, the not negates the second verb, not the first. For example, I don't mind not going. Here, not negates going, not mind.

To make the negative of these verbs, or any other non-auxiliary verb, you must use don't before them. I don't mind going.

If you follow with not and another verb, the not negates the second verb, not the first. For example, I don't mind not going. Here, not negates going, not mind.

Hi Jutfrank

Thank you for your answer. May I ask if it is normal and correct if I use "I don't decide not to go" as you said above instead of "I decide not to go". Does it still have the same meaning in this case or it does not make sense in term of meaning.

Thank you very much

I don't think I avoid not going is wrong, but it is unnecessarily opaque.

"I don't decide not to go."
"I decide not to go."

Perhaps you mean:

I haven't decided whether (or not) to go.
I have decided not to go.

Do you?

(They don't mean the same thing.)

May I ask if it is normal and correct if I use "I don't decide not to go" as you said above instead of "I decide not to go". Does it still have the same meaning in this case or it does not make sense in term of meaning.

Both of those are incorrect.

It's not completely clear what you want to say, but I think you want to say I have decided not to go.

I have decided to go.
Decision made? :tick:
Go? :tick:

Go? :cross:

I haven't decided whether to go.
Decision made? :cross:
Go? :?:

As for ted's correction in post #2, I think it should be "... one of the verbs that are followed by the ..."

As for ted's correction in post #2, I think it should be "... one of the verbs that are followed by the ..."

..one of the verbs that is followed (singular)..

I don't think I avoid not going is wrong, but it is unnecessarily opaque.
I'd have no idea what the speaker was trying to say if I heard that.

..one of the verbs that is followed (singular)..

I am aware there are many people who use the singular verb form in that construction.
However, I am of the opinion that the antecedent of 'that' in that sentence is 'verbs'.

Verbs that are followed by the -ing form:
mind, enjoy, give up, avoid, finish, put off, practice, etc.

'Mind' is one of these verbs(=the verbs that are followed by the -ing form).

I hope you'll understand what I mean.:)

Perhaps you mean:

I haven't decided whether (or not) to go.

Do you?

(They don't mean the same thing.)

Both of those are incorrect.

It's not completely clear what you want to say, but I think you want to say I have decided not to go.

I have decided to go.
Go? :tick:

Go? :cross:

I haven't decided whether to go.
Decision made? :cross:
Go? :?:

Hi there, my problem is I am confused about the grammatical use of these verbs. When I referred to the explanation in my book, it is very limited about how to use these verbs. For example, in the book, they say when you want to use a negative form of these verbs, you simply add "not" behind that verb like "I decided not to go". There is no mention of using auxiliary verb for these verbs. Although in daily speaking, I still use auxiliary verb for negative or interrogative form like "I don't expect to see him". This makes me confused whether I have been using it grammatically wrong.

I am aware there are many people who use the singular verb form in that construction.
However, I am of the opinion that the antecedent of 'that' in that sentence is 'verbs'.

'Mind' is one of these verbs(=the verbs that are followed by the -ing form).

That's right. Your opinion is correct.

Hi there, my problem is I am confused about the grammatical use of these verbs. When I referred to the explanation in my book, it is very limited about how to use these verbs. For example, in the book, they say when you want to use a negative form of these verbs, you simply add "not" behind that verb like "I decided not to go". There is no mention of using auxiliary verb for these verbs. Although in daily speaking, I still use auxiliary verb for negative or interrogative form like "I don't expect to see him". This makes me confused whether I have been using it grammatically wrong.

I don't understand what is confusing you. What the book says is correct. Why are you talking about auxiliary verbs? You don't always need to use an auxiliary verb.

I decided not to go.

Both of these sentences are grammatical, but they have different uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back