Can "used to" be ever used followed by a perfect infinitive?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hi!

Can we ever use "used to" followed by a perfect infinitive [have + P.P]? Did this usage ever exist?

Thanks in advance

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please give us an example sentence using that construction.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
None of the few examples I looked at appeared natural to me.
OK, but are you speaking on behalf of the British as a whole? I mean "Do all the British find it unnatural?

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Sorry, but I haven't had time yet to check with other sixty or more million.
I did not mean this.
OK, what is the difference between "used to" when followed by a base verb and when followed by a perfect infinitive? What is the effect this structure can have on the meaning of a sentence where it is used?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
None of those are natural or, indeed, grammatically correct.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
None of those are natural or, indeed, grammatically correct.
I agree they are unnatural but I assure you that they are grammatically correct. What objection do you have to those realistic examples?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not going to click on the links again but, if memory serves me correctly, every one should have been "used to" + bare infinitive.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree they are unnatural but I assure you that they are grammatically correct. What objection do you have to those realistic examples?

Existing on the Web is poor evidence for correctness. I've scanned a few of them. Some are clearly typos. Some are from non-native Anglophones. Some are missing a comma, as in The version I used to have, played a Jimi Hendrix lick.... This is a valid usage but is not "used to" followed by a perfect infinitive.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Existing on the Web is poor evidence for correctness.
I have said before it depends on the people who wrote it. if you can see that an example is a typo, ignore it and I am sure you will find more correct example where "used to have + p.p" is used intentionally to produce an effect I cannot understand till now.
I've scanned a few of them. [Oh, it means that you did click on the links. :)] Some are clearly typos. [You can ignore them and proceed to see other correct ones] Some are from non-native Anglophones. Some are missing a comma, as in The version I used to have, played a Jimi Hendrix lick.... This is a valid usage but is not "used to" followed by a perfect infinitive. [Yes, some of the hits you will find are irrelevant citations but you can simply ignore them like I do. :)]

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
You have had three native speakers, two of them teachers, who have told you the sentences they looked at were natural/incorrect. Now, unless you can post a sentence that is natural and correct, that seems to be the end of the matter.
Why are you so firm? :) So simply, I want to say that I believe that discussion with educated natives can solve language problems.
If you did not get my point till now, I will tell you. I had seen many examples that have "used to" followed by a perfect infinitive so I got really confused and just wondered why this usage is still in use despite the clear fact that it is not natural. That led me to think that it has a certain effect or usage I don't know so I decided to ask you. You now want to convince me that all these many and many relevant examples are wrong. I think there is a difference between "grammatically wrong" and "unacceptable because it is unnatural". Please, analyse any example to know the reason this construction is used, which I could not efficiently do but i am sure you can.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please post some examples that you think are correct uses of used to followed by a perfect infinitive. I scrolled through the first dozen or so of your first link without seeing any.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

I think it is up to you to try to justify which the emperor was used to have played at the Padreim as an example of the form you are looking for. You assure us that it is grammatically correct, but it's gibberish, and gibberish on page one of Google results for me. You are wrong in your assurance, and the fact that something can be found in Google, which documents any usage, does not make it automatically correct.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I think it's up to man of manners to choose his own sentence - the one he thinks is his best example, and post it. It shouldn't be up to us to trawl the net for examples, and ferret out the typos, and the obviously foreign sentences.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I think it is up to you to try to justify which the emperor was used to have played at the Padreim as an example of the form you are looking for.
This example is irrelevant and I said you can ignore irrelevant citations.
By the way, I will post relevant examples to make it easy.
I think it's up to man of manners to choose his own sentence - the one he thinks is his best example, and post it. It shouldn't be up to us to trawl the net for examples, and ferret out the typos, and the obviously foreign sentences.
Yes, you are right and I will do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.