Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Gujarati
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello. I am planning to come to Canada for a master's program a couple of years later. Actually, I can't seem to find any online resource that provides Canadian English pronunciation. All the resources I found online have only AmE and BrE versions, but not the Canadian ones. Please share with me online resources if you happen to know any.

Also, in general, Is Canadian English much of an American one or British, or Is it different altogether?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello. I am planning to come go to Canada to study for a master's program in a couple of years. later. Actually Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any online resource that provides Canadian English pronunciation. All the resources I have found online have only AmE and BrE versions, but not the Canadian. ones. Please share with me any online resources if you happen to you know of. any.

Also, in general, Is Canadian English much of an like American English one or British English, or is it completely/totally different? altogether?
Please note my corrections above. You'll find some pronunciations of individual words by Canadian English speakers on Forvo. As a sweeping generalisation, Canadian pronunciation has more in common with AmE than BrE, but it certainly has its own lovely idiosyncracies.
Are you interested in listening to Canadian pronunciation before you go, to help you understand the locals or are you hoping to emulate the accent in your own English? If it's the former, great. If it's the latter, I really don't think that's necessary. You just need to concentrate on making sure people understand you.

utsavviradiya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Gujarati
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thanks for the recommendation. I've started using it and loved it so far! Also, please provide answers to the following.

1) what you meant by "lime" in the last paragraph? I guess it's a typo, if it's not, can you, please, show me how it's used in a few sentences?
2) Can you please elaborate on why the sentence "Is it different altogether?" is incorrect?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for the recommendation. I've started using it and loved it so far! Also, please provide answers to the following.

1) What did you meant mean by "lime" in the last paragraph? I guess it's a typo. If it's not, can you no comma here please no comma here show me how it's used in a few sentences?
2) Can you please elaborate on why the sentence "Is it different altogether?" is incorrect?
Note my corrections above.

1. Sorry. It was a typo. It was supposed to be "like". I have now edited my post.
2. Your sentence wasn't grammatical. We don't use "altogether" like that. You'll hear a few native speakers use it with a different word order in declarative sentences but not in questions. For example:
Helen: Is that the same dress you wore to Sarah's wedding?
Jane: No! It's altogether different!

My grandfather (born in 1921) might have used it that way but it's rather old-fashioned these days.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my experience with Canadians, they speak much like Americans, except for certain words that give them away.

"About" is the classic stereotypical word.

In general, if you can understand an American accent, you will understand Canadians.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Speaking as a Canadian, I think the following is one of the best discussions of the differences (slight though they are) between American and Canadian English.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Another "tell" is the word "process."

Americans say "praw-cess," while Canadians say "proh-cess."

ryankopf

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Pay attention to vowel sounds: Canadian English has a few unique vowel sounds that can trip up non-native speakers. For example, the "ou" sound in words like "out" and "about" is pronounced differently than in American English. Instead of the "ow" sound, Canadians use a more rounded "oo" sound.

And by the wya, use the "eh" sound sparingly: While the stereotype of Canadians saying "eh" at the end of every sentence is pervasive, in reality, this is not a common feature of Canadian English. While some Canadians do use the "eh" sound occasionally, it is not a defining characteristic of the accent and should not be overused.

Status
Not open for further replies.