Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am writing a book and want to use a borrowed chart that does nott fit the overall aesthetic of the book. Can I change the look of a visual so long as the info remains unchanged? It will be properly cited. Every other visual in my book has the same format except this borrowed one.

Flamenco1

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Spain
I assume when you say "borrowed chart", that you have permission to use it, or that it is in the public domain.

Therefore, your question relates to presentation.

As long as your presentation is not in any way detrimental to the originator, I cannot imagine that there is an issue.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I don't see why not. Consider the law of copyright as it applies to words. Only the exact words themselves are protected. Other verbal formulations that have the identical meaning do not violate copyright. By analogy, you ought to be able to change the format of a chart without infringing on the IP rights of its creator.

Cross-posted with Flamenco1.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If nothing else, perhaps a footnote or similar comment where you cite the source stating that although full credit for the information goes to X, the original formatting/layout only has been altered.

Status
Not open for further replies.