Citizens exercising or Citizens' exercising? (on apostrophe rule)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebop7

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'm struggling with the sentence below related to apostrophe rule.

Citizens exercising
their Constitutional right to assemble is exactly what we expect to see when American values are at stake.

I think that the main verb of the sentence is 'is', if then, 'exercising' should be the main subject. My question is why does apostrophe not appear after 's' of 'Citizens'? Because the noun 'Citizens' in this sentence should do as the possessive, and in order to do that the word requires apostrophe. Can anyone who are stronger in grammar explain it?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I think that the main verb of the sentence is 'is'.
That's right.

If so, then 'exercising' should be the main subject.
No. The subject is the noun phrase "citizens exercising their constitutional right to assemble."

No apostrophe is needed.

Bebop7

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
That's right.

No. The subject is the noun phrase "citizens exercising their constitutional right to assemble."
No apostrophe is needed.

I think that it is right to use 'c' as a capital letter. The source is from npr.org(http://www.npr.org/2017/01/30/51248...-trumps-immigration-ban-heartened-by-protests), and I think they should do proofread before publishing.

Can you break down the phrase "citizens exercising their constitutional right to assemble" in detail? From my perspective, if no apostrophe, the sentence is seen as: [citizens(noun, as the subject of exercising their right) exercising(gerund, interchangeable as 'who exercise their right') their constitutional right to assemble(noun phrase, as the object of exercising)]
That is, if there is no apostrophe the 'is' should be changed to 'are' because 'citizens' is a plural noun.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Citizens exercising their Constitutional right to assemble is a singular noun phrase.

Bebop7

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Citizens exercising their Constitutional right to assemble is a singular noun phrase.
I know it is a singular noun phrase. Nevertheless, a vagueness still remains to me on the grammar role of 'citizens' in the noun phrase. That is what I am really curious about.

I learned that if we want to indicate the subject of gerund we generally take the possessive form. For example, I am proud of your being my son. As you can see, in the noun phrase 'your being my son', 'you' is the subject of the verb 'being', and we turn 'you' to its possessive form 'your'.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think that if you want to be very strict about grammatical correctness, then an apostrophe is required, for reasons you point out. However, many people are relaxed about this particular point, and even prefer the less 'correct', but more common way.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'exercising' can be seen as a participle modifying the noun 'Citizens'.

Would that not then make the subject Citizens instead of exercising?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It clearly is the subject if we take 'exercising' to be be a participle. Of course, if we do that, then the verb needs to be 'are'.

After trying to get my head around this, I think it is possible to understand 'exercising' to be a participle modifying the noun Citizens and also for the verb to remain in the singular form is. The way I might justify this is by expanding the subject phrase to something like

[The phenomenon/picture of] Citizens exercising their constitutional right to assemble is...

as a way of showing the complete thought, thereby explaining the singular is and also nicely combining the plural citizens with the singular activity of exercising in one image.

YAMATO2201

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
My question is why does apostrophe not appear after 's' of 'Citizens'?
I am not a teacher.

(1) Do you mind my making a suggestion?
(2) Do you mind me making a suggestion?

(3) I'm annoyed about John's forgetting to pay.
(4) I'm annoyed about John forgetting to pay.

[From the Japanese translation of an old edition of Practical English Usage.]

Last edited:

Bebop7

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank all of you for sharing your thoughts. And I wanted to say that though Piscean said his summary would have little interest or value to learners, it is really helpful and valuable to me. I've confused of a gerund and a participle(because they both have the verb + ing form) but now I can see the difference through the comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.