Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
If I wanna say the following sentence :

It won't be possible on Tuesday as we will be facing infrastructure issues on that day.

My question is :

is it infrastructure or an infrastructure ?

IF both the ways are correct, then can you pls give me an example on where and how to use those words?

Secondly,
Is it correct to say that :

As per our telecom

instead of :

As per our telephony conversation ?

J

J&K Tutoring

The word infrastructure doesn't drive the choice of article in this sentence, it's the word issue. Infrastructure functions as an adjective in this sentence, so we ignore it to choose or ommit the article.

we will be facing infrastructure issues is correct

we will be facing an infrastructure issue would also be correct

As you can see, it depends on the number of 'issues'.

Secondly, it would be most common in the US to say 'per our phone conversation'. Slightly less common (but not at all unusual) to say, 'per our telephone conversation'. I've never heard reference to 'telecom' or 'telephony' in the way you suggested. Neither one is grammatically 'incorrect', but either one would instantly mark you as not a native speaker...

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sometimes we will refer to a "telecon" (note the en, not an em), as an abbreviation for a teleconference. If you just had one person talking on the phone to you, refer to it as your phone call or phone conversation. If you had numerous people in several locations all on the phone at one time, that is a teleconference.

prattsishunk

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The word infrastructure doesn't drive the choice of article in this sentence, it's the word issue. Infrastructure functions as an adjective in this sentence, so we ignore it to choose or ommit the article.

we will be facing infrastructure issues is correct

we will be facing an infrastructure issue would also be correct

As you can see, it depends on the number of 'issues'.

Secondly, it would be most common in the US to say 'per our phone conversation'. Slightly less common (but not at all unusual) to say, 'per our telephone conversation'. I've never heard reference to 'telecom' or 'telephony' in the way you suggested. Neither one is grammatically 'incorrect', but either one would instantly mark you as not a native speaker...

Thanx a ton!!! :)

prattsishunk

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Sometimes we will refer to a "telecon" (note the en, not an em), as an abbreviation for a teleconference. If you just had one person talking on the phone to you, refer to it as your phone call or phone conversation. If you had numerous people in several locations all on the phone at one time, that is a teleconference.

Thanx a ton!!!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanx a ton!!!

Once again:

Only one exclamation mark is required.
It's "thanks", not "thanx". Try not to use textspeak on the forum.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.