Continue/Carry on/Go on doing/to do your homework until ...

dwni1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
UK
According to the dictionary, continue is followed by infinitive and gerund whereas carry on and go on are followed by gerund.
For example, I want to tell my son not to stop doing his homework until he has finished with it.
Can I use the following sentences.

1 Continue doing your homework until you have finished with it.
2 Carry on doing your homework until you have finished with it.
3 Continue to do your homework until you have finished with it.
4 Go on doing your homework until you have finished it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
According to the dictionary (which dictionary?), "continue" is followed by an infinitive and or a gerund whereas "carry on" and "go on" are followed by a gerund.
For example, I want to tell my son not to stop doing his homework until he has finished with it.
Can I use the following sentences?

1 Continue doing your homework until you have finished with it.
2 Carry on doing your homework until you have finished with it.
3 Continue to do your homework until you have finished with it.
4 Go on doing your homework until you have finished it.
Please note my corrections above. Mark out words you're emphasising or exemplifying in some way - I've enclosed them in quotation marks above.

All four of your sentences are possible and grammatically correct. That doesn't mean they're all natural. If they're simply sentences to show the usage of those imperatives and the corresponding infinitive/gerund, they're all correct. However, note that a native speaker would probably say something like "Keep doing your homework until it's finished" or even "You're not doing anything else until your homework's finished".