Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Bahrain
Current Location
Bahrain
I have written this passage just for practice. Please check it for me.

“Spending twelve hours every day outside home, makes me feel like to spend all my weekend with my family. I try to do as many activities as possible with them. We eat outside and shop together. Going to game centres is a must to entertain my seven years son. He likes electric cars and the balls pool. Videoing him is my favourite, for him it has no value for now, but in future this will be good for him to watch.
I try to go to cinema all together whenever I find a suitable film to watch.
Before put him to the bed, I read for him a story, and most the time I create that story.”

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

“Spending twelve hours every day outside home, makes me feel like[STRIKE] to[/STRIKE] spending all my weekend with my family. I try to do as many activities as possible with them. We eat outside and shop together. Going to game centres is a must to entertain my seven years son. He likes electric cars and the balls pool. Videoing him is my favourite; for him it has no value for now(he may not appreciate it so much now), but in future [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] it will be good for him to watch.
I try to go to the cinema [STRIKE]all [/STRIKE]together whenever I find a suitable film to watch.
Before putting him to [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] bed, I read [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] to him a story, and most the time I create that story.”

Elliot67

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Puerto Rico
Current Location
Puerto Rico
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by EMHM

“Spending twelve hours outside home every day, makes me feel like to spending all my weekend with my family. I try to do as many activities as possible with them. We eat outside and shop together. Going to game centres is a must to entertain my seven year old son. He likes electric cars and the balls pool. ​Filming videos of him is my favourite; for him it has no value for now(he may not appreciate it so much now), but in future thisit will be good for him to watch.

I try to go to the cinema all together whenever I find a suitable film to watch.
Before putting him to the bed, I read for to him a story, and most the time I create that story.”

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
1. Spending twelve hours outside home every day- I agree this is an improvement over the original sentence.
2. seven-year-old son - the three-word adjective is hypenated.
3. "Video" can also be used as a verb, especially in this age when videos are often taken using other types of media besides film.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Outside home" is unnatural in BrE.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"Outside home" is unnatural in BrE.

How would you put it?

How about just "outside" since home is understood in the context?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've been trying to work out what I would say. "Outside" on its own doesn't have the same connotation as it specifically means outdoors/in the fresh air/not inside a building.
"Outside home" could mean at work/at a friend's house/on holiday, anything that isn't "at home".

From the context of the original piece, which makes it clear that the speaker wants to spend all weekend with his/her family, doing lots of activities, I assumed "outside home" to simply mean "away from the place where I live".

I would probably say "Spending twelve hours a day away from home ..." or "Spending twelve hours a day out of the house ..."

Status
Not open for further replies.