Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear Professor,

I am writing to you to express my interest in continuing my academic study through the doctoral programme in machine learning at your University. I am a postgraduate from Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology, Nagpur, India, and currently working as Assistant Professor at MPCOE College, India. I came across this opportunity on your university website and I am very keen to join the doctoral programme within your department because I believe that its rich history of academic research is a perfect match for my academic aptitude. I have always been interested in machine learning and after meeting with Dr. [name removed by moderator] (Aarhus University, Denmark), I really get influenced by his work, especially in time-series forecasting. He inspired me to take the leap and submit this application, when I show my eagerness to hone my knowledge and get good exposure to the field. I hope you will consider my profile to have a passionate, dedicated and hardworking person in your team along with strong communication skills and descent knowledge in this field.

As you can see from my enclosed CV, I have always performed better at my academic and I have always been a sincere student, throughout my academic history, especially in my masters, I have developed a strong interest in the niche field of machine learning. I studied Computer Vision at VNIT where I learned different algorithms of machine learning and for the mini project, I built an artificial neural network in MATLAB to predict the vacant frequency band in the cognitive radio. The success of this work pushed me gain more knowledge about machine learning technologies like Python, R programming along with their ML libraries used for developing models and thus helped me acquiring new skills. While working on the implementation of digital receiver system on FPGA during my internship at a research lab ‘SAMEER, Mumbai’, I met with renowned scientists, learnt how the research works and it really motivate me do doctoral study. Although the design of project was based on the signal processing domain, I tried with little success to utilized machine learning concepts to have improved and efficient design. On the other hand, work on FPGA enables me to learn about how machine learning algorithms are implemented in it to have fast computing, more logic and memory resources to acquire efficient performance. I am sure that this knowledge will definitely help me in implementing my work in machine learning on hardware system in near future. I have always been interested in programming since my undergraduate days and having hands-on different technologies really helped accomplished success in all the projects that I have worked on. My work on a data visualization project on a new R library ‘ImputeTest’ using Shiny web framework has enabled anyone who has little knowledge of programming to evaluate the performance of various models just by using datasets and graphical buttons. This skill could help me to show my results and performance with ease to my thesis evaluators. My recent publication has helped me to develope new research specific skills like analyzing information sources, focusing on key issues, organizing the ideas and writing effective paper. I hope that such skills make me good fit for this position. I believe that there is scope to continue the research into machine learning due to the ever-changing nature of the profession and I am keen to combine my practical and theoretical knowledge with my research. I believe this is of value to not just myself and my peers but also my wider profession, since it could help others to understand the importance of machine learning. I cannot imagine a better place to study than university. I have always been inspired by the achievements of this academic institution and I wish to work alongside your teaching staff to research on machine learning.

With my theoretical knowledge, I am confident that I can complete my chosen research project to a high standard. Following on from the completion of my doctorate, I plan to use my knowledge to help educate fellow professionals, and thus improve awareness and understanding of our sector. I hope that this letter has given you some insight into my dedication to my learning and that you will consider my application. I would like to draw your attention back to my CV which is enclosed with this letter, which will demonstrate my professional and academic history.

I look forward to speaking with you soon and becoming a part of your team.

Yours sincerely,
[name removed by moderator]

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There's way too much information in the letter for me. The letter should be short and should make the reader want to look at the CV.

SameerThakare

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
There's way too much information in the letter for me. The letter should be short and should make the reader want to look at the CV.
Thanks for your valuable comment. I will try to remove unwanted content and will re-post it.

SameerThakare

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear Professor,

I am writing to you to express my interest in continuing my academic study through the doctoral program at your University. I am a postgraduate from Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology, Nagpur, India, and currently working as an Assistant Professor at VPM’s Maharshi Parshuram College of Engineering, India. I have always been interested in machine learning, data science, electronics, and renewable energy, but not limited to these topics. I came across this opportunity on your university website and I am very excited to join this program within your department because of its rich history of academic research which is a perfect match for my academic aptitude.

During my master's, I was fortunate enough to be mentored by some of the greatest minds in these fields, and under their tutelage, I have developed an immense interest in machine learning and data science. Computer Vision was the first subject in which I studied concepts of machine learning, data science that fueled my curiosity of understanding the field in-depth and its application in the real world. It helped me to hone my observation and analytical skills, in addition to that, it sharpened my knowledge about the algorithms and technologies by executing few key projects. In the course of my internship at SAMEER, Mumbai, I got the opportunity to work with renowned scientists, and their contribution to research influenced me to take doctoral study. This experience has bolstered my research skills and I get good exposure to the evolving technologies like FPGA, signal processing, electronics etc., and their use in data science. As a coding enthusiast, I have developed a web-based app ForecastTB to visualize, predict and evaluate the time-series forecasting models that have strengthened my programming and data visualization skills. My recent publication under the supervision of Dr. Bokde on renewable energy has helped me to develop new research-specific skills like analyzing information sources, focusing on key issues, organizing ideas, and effective paper writing. I would be glad to work in the ever-changing field of Machine learning and data science in which I can not only combine my practical but also theoretical knowledge to advance in the research. Inspired by the achievements of your institution, I can't imagine a better place for a doctoral than your university to work alongside the eminent teaching staff and fellow researchers.

I am confident that I can complete my chosen research project to a high standard utilizing my knowledge and skills. After the completion of my doctorate, I would love to assist fellow professionals, and thus spread awareness and understanding of the field. I hope that this letter has given you some insight into my dedication to my learning and that you will consider my application. I would like to draw your attention back to my CV which is enclosed with this letter, which will demonstrate my professional and academic history.

Yours sincerely,
XXXX XXXX

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for your valuable comment. I will try to remove unwanted content and will re-post it.

If your goal is to try to something then you have set the bar very low.

You have posted the same thing three times.

Our goal here is not to proofread things for people. It is to help them learn English.

I suggest that you look through some of the other threads in this subforum. See if you can find some helpful advice.

I also suggest that you rewrite that CV with the goal of making it more readable.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
make
We make changes.
We make mistakes.

do
We do the dishes.
We do our homework.

(You may thank me now. :) )

SameerThakare

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
make
We make changes.
We make mistakes.

do
We do the dishes.
We do our homework.

(You may thank me now. :) )

You could have helped me rather than just advice. Proofreading is also part of writing English and improving it somehow by the feedback from experts.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could have helped me rather than just give advice. Proofreading is also part of writing English, and improving it somehow by the feedback from experts.

I don't understand the last part.

I work for free here. That means I do what I want to do when I want to do it.

When I look at a post I calculate how much time I want to take to respond to it. (It would take me from a half hour to an hour to work on that. (It's just a guess.))

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We don't aim to provide a free proofreading service here. If you want something professionally proofread, you need to pay for it. I'm sure that there are particular sentences in your covering letter that you have doubts about (grammatically) and some that you're quite happy with. Why don't you start by just asking us about one sentence you're struggling with?

Ryan the Lion

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Germany
I'll help you out :)

Time doesn't cost money when there is nothing to be made except for the pleasant feeling of helping someone out.

Just remember that this isn't a CV - it's a cover letter. CVs will only ever have one or two short sentences and only if it is absolutely necessary.

Dear Professor,

I am writing to you in order to express my interest in continuing my academic study through the doctoral program at your University. I am a postgraduate from the Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology in Nagpur, India. I am currently working as an Assistant Professor at VPM’s Maharshi Parshuram College of Engineering.
I have always been interested in machine learning, data science, electronics, and renewable energy besides many other disciplines and fields. I came across this opportunity on your university website and I am very excited/would be very excited/excited at the prospect of** to join this program within your department because of its rich history of academic research which is a perfect match for my academic aptitude. **I have no idea what your situation is as to whether you have been accepted to looking to apply.

During my MA, I was fortunate enough to be mentored by some of the greatest minds in these fields and I have developed an immense interest in 'Machine Learning' and data science under their tutelage. Computer Vision was the first subject in which I studied concepts of machine learning and data science that fueled my curiosity of understanding the field in-depth and its application in the real world. It helped me to hone my observational and analytical skills which additionally, sharpened my knowledge about algorithms and technologies. During the course of my internship at SAMEER in Mumbai, I got the opportunity to work with renowned scientists, whose contributions to research influenced me to partake in pursuing a doctorate. This experience has bolstered my research skills and I get good exposure to the evolving technologies like FPGA, signal processing, electronics etc., and their use in Data Science. As a coding enthusiast, I have developed a web-based app ForecastTB to visualize, predict and evaluate the time-series forecasting models that have strengthened my programming and data visualization skills. My recent publication under the supervision of Dr. Bokde on renewable energy has helped me to develop new research-specific skills such as analyzing information sources, focusing on key issues, organizing ideas and effective paper writing. I would be glad to work in the ever-changing field of 'Machine Learning' and 'Data Science' because I am inspired by the achievements of your institution, so I can't envision a better place for doctoral studies than your university.

I am confident that I can complete my chosen research project to a high standard utilizing my knowledge and skills. After the completion of my doctorate, I would love to assist fellow professionals so as to promote awareness and understanding of the field. I hope that this letter has given you some insight into my dedication of my learning and that my application will be carefully considered.
I would like to draw your attention back to my CV which is enclosed with this letter, which will demonstrate my professional and academic history.

Yours sincerely,
XXXXX XXXXX

For subjects, you should capitalise them and I recommend use single quotation marks as that makes it grammatically correct.
Also, refrain from using 'you will' because that's too imperative-sounding and can come across as rude.

A good way to go by when writing CVs is to keep them relevant, concise, humble but not clinical; show a bit of your personality in there.
Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A couple of comments. Are you saying that mathematics, physics, and biology are proper nouns?

Maybe you mean "A good rule of thumb ...."

Where are the corrections?

(There are several CVs and cover letters (along with the corrections/ suggestions) in this section already.)

SameerThakare

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thank you so much Ryan for your support and guidance.

SameerThakare

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I want to delete this thread as it is my Cover letter. How can I do it. Please help.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I want to delete this thread as it is my cover letter. How can I do it? Please help.

It clearly states at the top of this section of the forum that threads here cannot be deleted. Even if the corrections and comments aren't helpful for you, they might be helpful for other learners - that's why they stay here.

Status
Not open for further replies.