Native Language
Abkhazian
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
Hi,
Is it grammatically correct to say

1. The credit card was named after Dave.
2. The card was named after Dave.

Thanks

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If there is a Dave credit card.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Both sentences are grammatical but I really don't think you're asking about grammar. Your question seems to be about whether you've used named after correctly. Is that right? Please tell us what you mean to say.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi.

Is it grammatically correct to say the following?

1. The credit card was named after Dave.
2. The card was named after Dave.

Thanks.

Please note my changes above. Even sentences as short as "Hi" and "Thanks" must end with an appropriate closing punctuation mark (in both cases here, a full stop). You started with "Is it ..." which means you were writing a question. You must find somewhere to put a question mark at the end of a question. "Is it grammatically correct to say" isn't grammatically complete so you can't just add a question mark to the end. That's why I made it complete by adding "the following" and a question mark.

As far as I'm aware, banks and financial institutions don't name the credit cards they offer after anyone. Can you explain more about what you mean by your sentences?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Is Dave the name on the card or the name of the card? We have cards like Visa and MasterCard, but I have never heard of one called Dave. We do have a TV channel in the UK called Dave.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is Dave the name on the card or the name of the card? We have cards like Visa and MasterCard, but I have never heard of one called Dave. We do have a TV channel in the UK called Dave.

And we've all got a mate called Dave. He might have a credit card!

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So, apparently there really is a Dave card. It's issued in conjunction with the Dave banking app. It appears to be a budgeting and credit management app which is also supposed to help you build or improve your credit score.

DaveBanking.jpg

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ah, yes, I've seen a documentary about that! A great guy called Dave Fishwick started a community/social money-lending scheme in Burnley and it got so popular he applied to have it formally recognised as a bank. Initially it was going to be called "Bank of Dave" but for some reason that was rejected and it became "Bank On Dave". Presumably, they have now issued a credit card to go alongside their current/savings accounts. I wouldn't say that the credit card itself was named after the founder but the bank itself certainly was.
The story is much more long-winded and interesting than that but that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Talab1234

Member Type
Native Language
Abkhazian
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
Thanks everyone

Actually the name of the person who has a Visa credit card is Dave

That’s what I meant

Ah, yes, I've seen a documentary about that! A great guy called Dave Fishwick started a community/social money-lending scheme in Burnley and it got so popular he applied to have it formally recognised as a bank. Initially it was going to be called "Bank of Dave" but for some reason that was rejected and it became "Bank On Dave". Presumably, they have now issued a credit card to go alongside their current/savings accounts. I wouldn't say that the credit card itself was named after the founder but the bank itself certainly was.
The story is much more long-winded and interesting than that but that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks, everyone.
Actually, the name of the person who has a Visa credit card is Dave. That’s what I meant.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help. Do you mean you know someone called Dave who happens to have a Visa credit card?

Please note my corrections above. You need to work on your punctuation.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Post #9 suggests that Dave is the name of the cardholder. So, no, Talab, you can't use named after to say what you mean. If I've understood the question correctly, I think you mean:

The account is in Dave's name.

Remember that the name on the credit card matches the name registered to the account.

For use of named after, look at this dictionary entry: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/name-sb-sth-after-sb-sth

Status
Not open for further replies.