Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ghana
Current Location
Ghana
Hello everyone, I have prepared my SOP and would appreciate a professional review.
Thanks.

PERSONAL STATEMENT

As a mathematics and statistics graduate with professional experience as a District Statistics Officer for the Ghana Education Service in the XXXXXX office, I am writing to express my strong motivation for the Ph.D. program. I have always been passionate about the intersection of mathematics, statistics, machine learning, artificial intelligence, data science, and their real-world applications, and the Computational and Data-Enabled Science and Engineering (CDSE) Ph.D. program at the University of Buffalo perfectly aligns with my interests and goals.

My background in statistics and mathematics, as well as my experience in the Ghana Education Service as a statistics officer, has equipped me with the skills and knowledge needed to succeed in the field of computational neuroscience.

In my current role as the Statistics officer, I have taken on multiple responsibilities that have helped me to understand the complexities of data analysis and interpretation that are relevant to the Computational and Data-Enabled Science and Engineering (CDSE) Ph.D. program. One of my key roles has been to collect and process data from various sources and present it in a meaningful and easy-to-understand manner using SPSS, Microsoft Excel, and PowerPoint. This has helped me to develop my computational skills and my ability to analyze data from a wide variety of sources. Additionally, this has helped me to also develop my expertise in data collection and analysis and improved my understanding of the governance, ethics, and potential societal impacts of collecting mining, sharing, and interpreting data.

Furthermore, my experience in the Ghana Education Service has also given me the opportunity to engage with a diverse range of stakeholders, including students, teachers, and community leaders. This has helped me develop excellent communication and interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to effectively communicate and present complex data and information to a non-technical audience.

In addition to my professional experience, I am actively seeking to expand my knowledge and skills through further education. I recently enrolled in the "all-in-one bundle for data science" online course at [LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR], which would provide me with valuable theoretical and practical insights on Python, R programming, Minitab, Mathlab, SPSS, Deep learning, Machine Learning, Time series Analysis, Artificial Intelligence and many more.

Despite falling ill and lacking familial support, I was determined to become the first in my family to earn a university degree. However, my journey was not without its challenges. I had to balance my studies with office work, managing marital problems, and paying school fees, rent, and other financial issues, while also providing for my three younger siblings and three children. As a result, my undergraduate GPA suffered.
But I refuse to let those setbacks define me. Instead, I have used those experiences to strengthen my resilience, adaptability, and drive. Juggling multiple responsibilities has taught me how to prioritize and manage my time effectively, and I am proud to have persevered despite the odds stacked against me.

I am particularly interested in using data science to address the gender gap in education. In my experience as a statistics officer at the XXXXX Office, I realized that girls have limited access to education, due to cultural and economic factors. By analyzing data on gender disparities in education, we can identify areas where intervention is needed and develop targeted programs to promote gender equality in education.

Additionally, I believe data science can be used to develop personalized learning programs that cater to each student's learning needs. This will involve analyzing data on student performance and learning styles so that we can create tailored educational experiences that maximize learning outcomes.

In conclusion, as a prospective data scientist, I am passionate about solving problems that will have a positive impact on people's lives. One problem that I am particularly passionate about in education is the lack of access to quality education, especially in developing countries. Again, by analyzing data on education outcomes, we can identify factors that contribute to poor academic performance, such as inadequate teaching resources, poor infrastructure, and lack of access to technology. We can also develop predictive models to identify students who are at risk of dropping out and intervene early to prevent this from happening.

Therefore, I believe that applying statistical and mathematical techniques to real-world business and industry problems can lead to innovative solutions and make a meaningful impact on society and I am confident that the Computational and Data-Enabled Science and Engineering (CDSE) Ph.D. program at the University of Buffalo will provide me with the skills and experience necessary to excel in this field and make a positive contribution to the field.

Thank you for considering my application.

Sincerely,
Isaac Chanortey Bestow Sebbie

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
1- What is the word limit for that letter?

2- Which areas/points were you asked to cover?

3- Is there a URL (link) that outlines the requirements?

4- What is the submission deadline?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Oddly, you used "In conclusion" for the next-to-last paragraph.

Are you going to tell them you got help here?

Sebbi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ghana
Current Location
Ghana
1- What is the word limit for that letter?

2- Which areas/points were you asked to cover?

3- Is there a URL (link) that outlines the requirements?

4- What is the submission deadline?
Please
1. Word limit has not been stated. This is what has been stated on the page"As part of the application, the IAD requires a statement of purpose briefly describing your background and your academic and career goals".
4. It is on rolling Admission
Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@Sebbi - What about questions 2 and 3 in post #2 and the question in post #3?

Sebbi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ghana
Current Location
Ghana
Please
1. Word limit has not been stated. This is what has been stated on the page"As part of the application, the IAD requires a statement of purpose briefly describing your background and your academic and career goals".
4. It is on rolling Admission
Thank you.
@Sebbi - What about questions 2 and 3 in post #2 and the question in post #3?
Sir,
I thought the answers I gave, answered questions 2 and 3. But all the same, I think the answers are as follows:
2. No areas/points were specified.
3. This is the link https://www.buffalo.edu/ai-data-science/academics/grad/cdse-phd.html.
Thank you

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I don't understand why you didn't answer my questions in post #6.

Sebbi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ghana
Current Location
Ghana
I don't understand why you didn't answer my questions in post #6.
Sorry, I have not been able to identify the question. Can you please refer me to it?

Thank you

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry, I have not been able to identify the question. Can you please refer me to it?

Thank you.
Can't you see post #6? There are two questions in it - the first is "Are you still ill?"

Sebbi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ghana
Current Location
Ghana
Are you still ill?

and wife?
1. No. I am now recovered. I was sick during the school days
2. Yes, my wife was included.

Thank you for drawing my attention to it.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
As a mathematics and statistics graduate with professional experience as a District Statistics Officer for the Ghana Education Service in the XXXXXX office, I am writing to express my strong motivation for the [ 1] PhD program. I have always been passionate about the intersection of mathematics, statistics, machine learning, artificial intelligence, data science, and their real-world applications, and the Computational and Data-Enabled Science and Engineering (CDSE) PhD program at the University of Buffalo perfectly align with my interests and goals.
My background in statistics and mathematics, as well as my experience in the Ghana Education Service as a statistics officer, has equipped me with the skills and knowledge needed to succeed in the field of computational neuroscience.
In my current role, as the Statistics officer, I have taken on multiple responsibilities that have helped me to understand the complexities of data analysis. and interpretation that are relevant to the Computational and Data-Enabled Science and Engineering (CDSE) Ph.D. program. One of my key roles has been to collect and process data from various sources and present it in a meaningful and easy-to-understand manner I am adept at using SPSS, Microsoft Excel, and PowerPoint. This has helped me to develop my computational skills and my ability to analyze data from a wide variety of sources. Additionally, this has helped me to also develop my expertise in data collection and analysis and improved my I also have a good understanding of the governance, ethics, and potential societal impacts of collecting mining, sharing, and interpreting data.
Furthermore, my experience in the Ghana Education Service has also given me the opportunity to engage with a diverse range of stakeholders, including students, teachers, and community leaders, and to This has helped me develop excellent communication and interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to effectively communicate and present complex data and information to a to experts and non-technical audiences.
In addition to my professional experience, I am also actively seeking to expand my knowledge and skills through further education. I recently enrolled in the "all-in-one bundle for data science" online course at [ 2], which would provide me with to gain valuable theoretical and practical insights on into Python, R programming, Minitab, Mathlab, SPSS, Deep learning, Machine Learning, Time series Analysis, and Artificial Intelligence. and many more.
Despite falling ill, during my studies, and lacking familial support, I was determined to become the first in my family to earn a university degree. However, my journey was not without its challenges. I had to balance my studies with office work, marriage commitments, managing marital problems, and paying school fees, rent, and other financial issues, while also providing for my three younger siblings, wife and three children. As a result, my undergraduate GPA suffered.
But I refuse to let those setbacks define me. Instead, I have used those experiences to strengthen my resilience, adaptability, and drive. Juggling multiple responsibilities has taught me how to prioritize and manage my time effectively, and I am proud to have persevered despite the odds stacked against me.
I am particularly interested in using data science to address the gender gap in education. In my experience as a statistics officer at the XXXXX Office, I realized that girls have limited access to education, due to cultural and economic factors. By analyzing data on gender disparities in education, we can identify areas where intervention is needed and develop targeted programs to promote gender equality. in education.
Additionally, I believe data science can be used to develop personalized learning programs that cater to each student's learning needs. This will would involve analyzing data on student performance and learning styles so that we can create tailored educational experiences that maximize learning outcomes. In conclusion, as a prospective data scientist, I am passionate about solving problems that will have a positive impact on people's lives. One problem that I am particularly passionate about in education is the lack of access to quality education, especially in developing countries. Again, by analyzing data on education outcomes, we can identify factors that contribute to poor academic performance, such as inadequate teaching resources, poor infrastructure, and lack of access to technology. We can I am also interested in developing predictive models to identify students who are at risk of dropping out and intervene early to prevent this from happening.
Therefore, I believe that applying statistical and mathematical techniques to real-world business and industry problems can lead to innovative solutions and make a meaningful impact on society, and I am confident that the Computational and Data-Enabled Science and Engineering (CDSE) PhD program at the University of Buffalo will provide me with the skills and experience necessary to excel in this field and make a positive contribution. to the field.
Thank you for considering my application.
Sincerely, Yours faithfully,
Isaac Chanortey Bestow Sebbie
[ 1] and [ 2]: Insert appropriate names.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.