Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Tajikistan
Current Location
UK
Is this correct and natural? All names are fictitious.

My hometown is Arta. It is located in the northwest of Tajikistan. I think the population of Arta is about 5 million people. It is a large and crowded city. But the city's appearance is not very modern compared to the past.
There are not many large buildings. The city's transportation is not advanced, and many other problems are probably funny to the people of other countries. all these problems are because of the corrupt and ideological government that rules the people. There are different ethnicities in Arta, such as Verdan, Persian, and Derdan. But most are Persian.
In my opinion, the most important feature of Arta is its warmth. The weather gets so hot in the afternoons that you cannot stay outside for a long time. The air temperature in summer is above 45 on most days.

If I want to talk about the historical monuments of Arta, it is a bit difficult for me. To be honest, Arta has no historical monuments because it is a relatively new city and its lifespan is about 50 years. Its old name is Artanden.
The city of Arta has a unique dish that the whole country knows and is very tasty. The name of the dish is kalepacheh. I suggest you try it. If I want to talk about the natural attractions of Arta, I can mention the Verdansk river that passes through the middle of the city. People go to the riverside for a picnic when the weather cools at night. At the same time, there are many bridges on it. The most famous and the first bridge is the golden bridge, built by the Germans in 1995.

The center of Arta city is Banji street. There are various things to buy. But large office buildings are expensive in an area called Dolatkadeh. This area usually has terrible traffic from dusk to the night's end.

The thing I don't like about Arta, and it bothers me and many others, is the city sewage system. First, houses without water pumps in many areas do not have access to water. Second, when it rains in winter, the whole city gets flooded. Despite the government, there is no hope of correcting this situation.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't want to be too critical, but you said all names are fictitious, but then you used the name of a real country. To stay with the theme of using fictitious place names, I suggest Artavan.

It's quite cool here when it's 45 degrees. (I've never understood why when you adopt the metric system you have to use the Celsius temperature scale. (Fahrenheit is more accurate.)

Since night's end is dawn, you seem to be saying traffic is heavy all night. (I don't think that's what you mean.)

In the last sentence I think you mean "Because of the government" and not "Despite the government", but I could be wrong.

Why would Germans build a bridge in Artavan? Aren't there any Artavanese engineers?

We don't say a bridge is on the river. Instead, it is over the river.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If I want to talk about the historical monuments of Arta, it is a bit difficult for me. To be honest, Arta has no historical monuments because it is a relatively new city and its lifespan is about 50 years.

There's nothing wrong with saying that it's a relatively new city but I don't think you should use any of the part I've underlined above.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Also, "lifespan" isn't the right word. That indicates that the city is only expected to exist for 50 years. Say something like "It was founded only 50 years ago" or "It has existed for just 50 years".

Status
Not open for further replies.