Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. Does "detract from" mean "damage" or "diminish"?
2, "have each hour of the day accounted for" sounds awkward to me. Isn't "plan each hour of the day" better?
3. By "leave time for spontaneous behavior", the writer must have meant "performing sponteneous behavior in rituals not outside of them", right? But at gym, where you have to do routine exercise, it will be hardly possible to be creative. I don't think his idea is hundred percent correct.

st30)People are sometimes resistant to the idea of introducing rituals because they believe that ritualistic behavior may detract from spontaneity or creativity - especially when it comes to interpersonal rituals such as a regular date with one's spouse, or artistic rituals such as painting. However, if we do not ritualize activities - whether working out in the gym, spending time with our family, or reading for pleasure- we often don't get to them, and rather than being spontaenous, we become reactive (to others' demands on our time and energy). In an overall structured, ritualized life, we certainly don't need to have each hour of the day accounted for and can thus leave time for spontaneous behavior, more importantly, we can integrate spontaneity into a ritual, as, for example, deciding spontaneously where we can go on the ritualized date...

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Sorry for too many questions. I think you agreed with 2 and 3, but what about 1?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Sorry for too many questions. I think you agreed with 2 and 3, but what about 1?
Yes.

Try one question at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.