Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

A few days ago, my teacher told me that in her state, fruits are labelled with a number so that people can know whether the fruit they've bought is genetic modified or not. I don't feel like I've seen that kind of labels in Hong Kong. Maybe I haven't noticed that. I've only seen something like "it is not GM food" but I've never seen something is labelled with GM food notice. Next time when I do grocery, I will check that.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
**genetically modified

I don't think I've seen that type of label here in Hong Kong. Next time I go grocery shopping I will look for it.

I might squeeze the thing in as a parenthetical expression.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

A few days ago, my teacher told me that, in her state, fruits are labelled with a number so that people can will know whether the fruit they've bought is genetically modified or not. I don't feel like think I've seen that kind of labels in Hong Kong. Maybe I haven't noticed that it. I've only seen something like "it is not GM food" but I've haven't seen something anything is labelled with GM food notice with the GM food label. Next time when I do shop for grocery, I will check that out.

fluentli

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@tedmc already made some great suggestions and edits, so I'll only add new ones.

I've only seen something like "it is not GM food," but I've never seen something labelled with a GM food notice.
It's fine with these small changes too. Notice the comma placement.

Next time I go grocery shopping, I will check that.
If you change "when I do grocery" to "next time I do grocery shopping," it will be a smoother expression.

You had some small spelling errors, sentence structure, and grammatical accuracy that needed editing, but good entry!

Here is an alternative version that uses some different expressions as well. I hope you can learn something new from it:

Just the other day, my teacher mentioned that where she lives, fruits are tagged with a certain number to indicate if they've been genetically modified or not. I don't recall ever seeing that kind of detail on fruit labels here in Hong Kong. Maybe I have just been overlooking it? The only thing I have come across is tags stating "this is not GM food," but I can't remember seeing any labels clearly declaring a fruit as genetically modified. I'll make sure to look closer next time I'm at the supermarket.