Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I learnt some new Japanese words today, and it was hard for me to memorise them. I hope I can persist to learn Japanese longer than I did five years ago. I had tried learning Japanese by myself but it didn't work out well. Basic grammar is easy to learn but hard to retain so I decided to learn it with a teacher again. My brain is tight now!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I learnt some new Japanese words today no comma here and but it was hard for me to memorise them. I hope I can persist to with learning Japanese for longer than I did five years ago. I had tried learning Japanese by myself but it didn't work out well. Basic grammar is easy to learn but hard to retain so I decided to learn it again, but this time with a teacher. again. My brain is tight hurts now!
See above. I've tried to guess what you meant with the final exclamation. It might not be what you meant but we definitely don't say "My brain is tight".

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I feel like I was wearing a tight stockings around my head. I couldn't process anything.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I feel like I was wearing a (you can't use the indefinite article before a plural noun) tight stockings around my head. I couldn't process anything.
Yes, I understand the concept. However, since you already know that we don't have a phrase for that, I was hoping you might comment on my suggestion of "My brain hurts" and tedmc's new suggestion of "My brain is overloaded". Do either of them suggest how you felt? (Bear in mind that "My brain hurts" isn't mean to be taken literally - there isn't any actual pain.)

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Yes, I understand the concept. However, since you already know that we don't have a phrase for that, I was hoping you might comment on my suggestion of "My brain hurts" and tedmc's new suggestion of "My brain is overloaded". Do either of them suggest how you felt? (Bear in mind that "My brain hurts" isn't mean to be taken literally - there isn't any actual pain.)
I think “hurt” might be more suitable because I want to emphasise the discomfort.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have said "It hurts my head" a time or two. (It would make more sense in context.)

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"Hurt" is usually associated with pain. You can say, figuratively, "I feel like my brain is exploding" to describe an overload of things to memorize.