Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I've finished watching three episodes about twin experiments on vegan and regular diets. Well, it totally wasn't what I had expected so I stopped watching. At first, I thought the show was interesting by looking into, for example, how their health would change. However, they spent two episodes discussing food sources and how consuming meat could do harm to our environment. On the one hand, they tried to convince us to eat less beef because cows produce a greenhouse gas that's much worse than carbon dioxide. On the other hand, they promoted the disadvantages of having diabetes but they allowed the vegan ones of the twins to choose their own vegan food in the last four weeks (one of them seemed to have bought vegan cookies); I'm not sure if vegan cookies are good to their health. So far, I'm quite confused about the theme and nature of the show. Maybe it's more of an educational show. I'm thinking, maybe, I should jump to the last episode to see the results.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm sure that "studies" works better than "experiments" there.

That's all I have time for right now. It's breakfast time!

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"Twin experiments" could mean double experiments, so I think "experiments on a pair of twins" is clearer.
I don't think disadvantages are promoted.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Twin experiments" could mean double experiments, so I think "experiments on a pair of twins" is clearer.
Yes. It also unsettlingly reminds me of Mengele's experiments on twins. 😢

Also, it's not really an experiment. It's a study.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
"Twin experiments" could mean double experiments,
That's what I assumed Maybo meant. Let's see what he/she has to say.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's what I assumed Maybo meant. Let's see what he has to say.
Maybo is not a he. Also, it's a study involving twins that campares the effects of vegan diets to regular diets.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
"experiments on a pair of twins"
That’s what I’m thinking. But the show is called “You Are What You Eat: A Twin Experiment”. Have I misunderstood the title of the show?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
That’s what I’m thinking. But the show is called “You Are What You Eat: A Twin Experiment”. Have I misunderstood the title of the show?
🙃
You've watched it! Does it have twins (twin siblings) in it, or is it about doing two experiments?

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
🙃
You've watched it! Does it have twins (twin siblings) in it, or is it about doing two experiments?
Yes. It has twins but actually they’re also doing two experiments; one of the twins is put on a vegan diet and the other is put on a regular diet.
A little bit introduction about the show.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I've finished watching three episodes of a show about twin experiments on twins put on vegan and regular diets.
Something like that.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There's no concise way of explaining the premise of the show, if you want to be absolutely sure that your audience understands the concept.

In the show, researchers work with several pairs of twins. In each pair, they put one twin on a plant-based diet and the other on an omnivorous diet. After [number of weeks], the researchers will run various tests to see what effect the diets have had on the twins' bodies.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The last word.

It's a study involving twins that compares the effects of vegan diets to those of regular diets. I understand where the word "experiment" comes from as it's in the title of the show. However, if you knew about Mengele's experiments on twins you might be as repulsed by that as I am.

There is no need to use the word "bodies" at all.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The blurb on Netflix says "Identical twins change their diets and lifestyles for eight weeks in a unique scientific experiment designed to explore how certain foods impact the body".
On that basis alone, I have to disagree with Tarheel about the use of the word "bodies". That is exactly what the experiment is looking at.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The food I eat affects me. I realize that some people use the word "body" as if they are talking about a separate part of themselves. However, when I get tired I get tired. When I am hungry I am hungry. When I am sleepy I am sleepy. My body is not a separate part of me. It is a part of me. Everything that affects my body affects me. Does my body feel pain that I do not feel?

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The food I eat affects me. I realize that some people use the word "body" as if they are talking about a separate part of themselves. However, when I get tired I get tired. When I am hungry I am hungry. When I am sleepy I am sleepy. My body is not a separate part of me. It is a part of me. Everything that affects my body affects me. Does my body feel pain that I do not feel?
Maybe they use this word to emphasise that they focus on the physical body not mental health.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's carelessness.