Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Sir, the following conversation is followed by Fill in the blank type question. Sheila reports it to her mother after the conversation with her friends.

This question was given in a book of CBSE. the answer is (III), In my opinion answer should be (I). Please explain which of the given choices is correct one. Would you please explain the reason for the correct answer.

Sheila: Arun, it's my birthday on Frida, 8 October. I've arranged for a
party at home. I want you to come.
Arun: I have a test on Saturday. I don't think i'll be able to come.
Sheila: OK, Gita, what about you?
Gita : I'm sorry, Sheila. I'll be away in Bangalore.
Sheila: Mohit! You won't disappoint me, will you?
Mohit: I am really very sorry, Sheila. I have to take my grandmother to
the doctor that evening.

Sheila: Mother! most of my friends have refused to come. Arun said that ............................... .
(i) He had a test on Saturday.
(ii) He has a test on Saturday.
(iii) He will have a test on Saturday.
(iv) He is having a test on Saturday.

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
khansir;660922 Sheila: Mother! most of my friends have refused to come. Arun said that ............................... . (i) He had a test on Saturday. (ii) He has a test on Saturday. (iii) He will have a test on Saturday. (iv) He is having a test on Saturday.[/QUOTE said:
Hi Sir/Madam!

All are grammatically correct. (ii) is most natural for me, closely followed by (i). (iii) is OK but leaves me wondering what the condition is - he will have a test on a Saturday if... what? (iv) makes it sound like he is having a blood test for some reason - having a test done on him, not taking a test.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you want to enforce the rule of back-shifting, your option is sound; but it may sacrifice comprehensibility. This often happens with 'can' in reported speech. Many people would accept 'He said that he can drive' if what he said was 'At the sixteenth attempt, I finally past the test. I can drive at last.'

So, where 'can' is involved, I hear fewer and fewer people back-shifting - especially where a continuing ability is involved. If your conversation were taking place after the party (which it wouldn't:)) Arun's reported speech would indeed have been (i) He had a test on Saturday.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.