English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
English teacher

What exactly is a discipline referral in British, American, Australian, etc. schools?
What consequences come with referrals?
What does "write a student up" mean?
What is a log book?

Thanks a lot.
WW

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What consequences come with referrals?

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Mr. Whitman:

I think that I can tell you a little something about the situation here in Los Angeles.

What are the consequences? To be very frank (honest): In 2014, there are few consequences for bad behavior. In fact, the word "punishment: may NOT be used.

If a teacher refers a misbehaving student to the "office," the following things are possible:

1. The student will simply sit in the office for the rest of the period. (At least he is no longer causing problems in the teacher's classroom.)

2. He may be suspended. (For example, he may not attend school for three days, or he may not attend that particular teacher's class for three days.)

3. He may be transferred to another school.

4. He may be transferred to a school for "problem" students.

5. He may be expelled. (That is, he may not attend school for a year -- or forever!)

Here in Los Angeles, suspensions are now VERY rare. For reasons that I cannot discuss, the government in Washington, D.C. told the schools in the United States to stop suspending so many students.

So the new rule here in L.A.:

If a student is defiant (for example: the teacher tells a student to sit in a certain seat and he says, "NO!"), he may not be suspended for disobeying the teacher. The new rule is: The teacher and the student will have a private meeting. The teacher will explain why he wanted to change the student's seat, and the student will explain why he did not want to move. Then the two persons will come to understand each other's feelings. (I am NOT joking!)

James

Walt Whitman

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thank you, James.

I’m just assuming:

a discipline referral might be something like sending disruptive students to the principal’s office along with a discipline note.

“Write a student up” might mean, more or less, the same thing, i.e. writing a discipline note and send it to the principal along with the disruptive student.

A “log book” might be… Well, I have no idea.

I really need to get some help from experts in the teaching field.

Thank you.
WW

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
`
A logbook (one word) is

A regular or systematic written record of incidents or observations
(Oxford Dictionaries)

Walt Whitman

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thank you, Rover.
Since you're a retired teacher, do you think the assumptions I made about "referral" and "write up" are correct?
Is a logbook a sort of journal a student carries with him to school?
Or is it something a teacher uses to write down observations and record incidents happening in the classroom?

WW

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
...do you think the assumptions I made about "referral" and "write up" are correct? Yes.

Is a logbook a sort of journal a student carries with him to school? He could be made to carry a copy of the entries relevant to himself.

Or is it something a teacher uses to write down observations and record incidents happening in the classroom? In the logbook, the headteacher or other teachers would record disciplinary matters for future reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.