Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"In my view, the attack on the Capitol that day was designed for a particular purpose at a particular moment, and that was to disrupt the peaceful transfer of power of as is laid out in the Constitution," Kaine said in an interview with ABC "This Week" anchor George Stephanopoulos. "So I think there's a powerful argument to be made."

Source: ABC News 'There's a powerful argument' Trump is disqualified for presidency under 14th Amendment: Kaine

Should the second "of" in "disrupt the peaceful transfer of power of as is laid out in the Constitution" be removed?

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Last edited:

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Should the second "of" in "disrupt the peaceful transfer of power of as is laid out in the Constitution" be removed?
The second "of" does not appear in the official transcript of Senator Kaine's response. How do editors handle situations like this when an unintended second word is uttered but it doesn't change the meaning of the sentence? Should it be included or excluded from the transcript? ;)

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not so fast! If you listen closely to Senator Kaine's comment, he does use the second "of" in his response to George Stephanopoulos's question.

Source: ABC News
Yes, but that's what's in print. That "of" doesn't make sense. Of what?

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, but that's what's in print. That "of" doesn't make sense. Of what?
No, that’s not what is in print. The editor of the transcript did not include the second “of”. What was said by Senator Kaine is not what is written. Thus, my question stands. When does an editor include/exclude an unintended word?
You are correct, Grand Wizard of Charlotte! The second “of” is incorrect when written.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
When does an editor include/exclude an unintended word?

There are several reasons to exclude and few reasons to include. Here, it really should be left out. It does nothing at all except confuse. If you were to leave it in, it'd stand out where it doesn't in the speech.

I'm not sure he even says of anyway. I think it's just a filler syllable.