Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It makes no sense to me. If I had to guess, I would say that it means something like "over-excited words and phrases" or "extraneous information" suggesting that the writer had got rather carried away with their writing and needed the editor to bring it back down to a sensible and clear version (as shown by the fact that the writer is thanking the editor for giving a "clear, precise sense of this story"). Perhaps the editor got rid of the "waffle" and the "flannel" from the writing, tidied it up and made it more understandable. That is, after all, an editor's job.

I can't find a definition of "wahoo" that fits that, though. Had it said "yahoo" (without a capital letter) I could have connected it to the exclamation of delight and wonder which people sometimes make and which, I suppose, could be used to describe over-excitement in a piece of writing, but I've never heard that word used that way either.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
A Child Called "It", author Dave Pelzer, right?

The wahoo is a large fish. It is also what students at the University of Virginia call themselves, and a cheer they use to encourage their varsity teams.

Because the wahoo is a fish that can drink and absorb twice its weight in water, in the context of your quote the obvious meaning is superfluous material that only muddles the story and can be squeezed out in much the same way the extra water can be squeezed out of a wahoo fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.