Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
I hear the commentator say "he drives with the ball at his feet". I'm a little confused by the construction of the sentence. The verb "drive" is a transitive verb and means to kick the ball hard, but the speaker uses the preposition "with" in front of the verb. I usually just say "he drives the ball". Are both correct?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The verb drive is intransitive here. It means he runs forward quickly and forcefully into the defence.

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
But how does "with" work in that sentence? It's a little strange. I would use "dribble" in that. He runs to dribble the ball at his feet.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
But how does "with" work in that sentence?

What do you mean? The word with is the head of the modifying preposition phrase with the ball at his feet. In football, there are two kinds of run: 'with the ball' and 'without the ball'. When you drive, you are in possession of the ball.

I would use "dribble" in that. He runs to dribble the ball at his feet.

That's incorrect.

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
I mean the use of "with" sounds strange there. It's usually used like these examples:

I was with Sylvia at the time.
He lives with his grandmother.
I'm going to France with a couple of friends.

"I'm with the ball" kind of means I'm with a round object. That's why I choose the verb "dribble". Does "with" probably mean to dribble the ball in this context?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Kontol You changed the sentence. It doesn't say he's with the ball. Instead, he drives with the ball at his feet.

If you are watching a football match you should not be surprised that the commentary has to do with the game.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I mean the use of "with" sounds strange there.

It doesn't sound at all strange to a native speaker.

It's usually used like these examples:

I was with Sylvia at the time.
He lives with his grandmother.
I'm going to France with a couple of friends.

These sentences are good examples, but they exemplify only one particular meaning of with. In fact, there are several other meanings of the word with.

"I'm with the ball" kind of means I'm with a round object. That's why I choose the verb "dribble".

I don't really understand what you mean.

Does "with" probably mean to dribble the ball in this context?

Not really, no. In this context, the entire phrase with the ball at his feet obviously means he's dribbling the ball, yes, but the preposition with doesn't in itself imply dribbling. In football, tactics differ depending on whether a team as a whole is 'with the ball' or 'without the ball'. This simply means that the team is either in possession or not in possession of the ball. It has nothing to do with dribbling. However, in the original context the preposition phrase at his feet tells us that he is in close control of (i.e., dribbling) the ball. In other words, it's the phrase at his feet that tells us he's dribbling.

Things can sometimes be confusing when two different preposition phrases are used in conjunction. Consider the following example:

She was dancing with her hands in the air.

In this case, these two phrases are not separable, semantically. This is because in the air doesn't complement She but hands. That is, it isn't she who is in the air but her hands. You can see this easily if you remove the second preposition phrase:

She was dancing with her hands.

Hopefully, you can see that this now has a very different sense. Compare this to:

She was walking with her boyfriend in the street.

In this case, the two preposition phrases are semantically independent. That means that you can remove either phrase without changing the meaning:

She was walking with her boyfriend.
She was walking in the street.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.