Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
" Lee and her cousin Cherry were on a trip to Canada to visit their cousins in Montreal on the Atlantic coast. Rather than take the aeroplane all the way, they to fly to Vancouver and then take the train from west to east across Canada. The thought that they could cross the whole continent was exciting.
Their friend, Danny Lin, was waiting at the airport. He was going to take them and their baggage to catch "The True North", the cross-Canada train. On the way to the station, he chatted about their trip. "You're going to see some great scenery. Going eastward, you'll pass mountains and thousands of lakes and forests, as well as wide rivers and large cities. Some people have the idea that you can cross Canada in less than five days, but they forget the fact that Canada is 5,500 kilometres from coast to coast. Here in Vancouver, you're in Canada's warmest part. People say it is Canada's most beautiful city, surrounded by mountains and the Pacific Ocean. Skiing in the Rocky Mountains and sailing in the harbour make Vancouver one of Canada's most popular cities to live in. Its population is increasing rapidly. The coast north of Vancouver has some of the oldest and most beautiful forests in the world. It is so wet there that the trees are extremely tall, some measuring over 90 metres."
That afternoon aboard the train, the cousins settled down in their seats. Earlier that day, when they crossed the Rocky Mountains, they managed to catch sight of some mountain goats and even a grizzly bear and an eagle. Their next stop was Calgary, which is famous for the Calgary Stampede. Cowboys from all over the world come to compete in the Stampede. Many of them have a gift for riding wild horses and can win thousands of dollars in prizes."

The above text is extracted from my textbook meant for Senior High School students (aged 15). It is about two girls' train trip from coast to coast in Canada. According to the description, Vancouver is the starting point. My question is why the author used "earlier that day". Does it mean that "crossing the Rocky Mountains" happens before "getting aboard the train"? Why is "crossed" used in collocation with "mountains"? I think "passed" would be a better verb. Am I right?

Thanks for your help!

Jason

My question is why the author used "earlier that day". Does it mean that "crossing the Rocky Mountains" happens before "getting aboard the train"?

Honestly, I'm having some troubles following the chronological order of events myself. Logically, they have to board the train first, then move east across the Rockies, heading towards Calgary.

However, the way it's written is confusing - it almost sounds like they went west across the mountains, got on a train, and then went back east across the same mountains. At first I thought maybe it was referring to their flight into Vancouver, but they wouldn't have been able to see wildlife from a plane, so it has to be talking just about the train ride.

Why is "crossed" used in collocation with "mountains"? I think "passed" would be a better verb. Am I right?

No, 'crossed' is correct, because the Rocky Mountains run roughly north-south (actually closer to southeast to northwest by Vancouver), and the cousins are moving generally west to east perpendicular to the mountain range, so at some point they have to cross them. 'Pass' only works when you move parallel to something, not perpendicular.

The text has some issues with tense consistency anyway, as well as geography - Montreal is nowhere near a coast.

"Crossed the mountains" is fine. The author lost track of the timeline. They are confused about Canadian geography, too; you won't find Montreal on the Atlantic coast. The Atlantic coastline of Canada is over 655 km east of the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back