English course is learning-----------------lamp post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohamido

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
English course is learning-----------------lamp post.
a- by
b- under
c- against
d- with

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. I have changed your thread title. "Choose" is useless as a title. Titles must include some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you're asking us to look at.

2. Where did you find this terrible exercise? It makes no sense at all.

3. When you write a post here, you need to give us more information - the source, why you're asking us about it, what you're asking us to do. You can't just post something like this and expect us to read your mind.

mohamido

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Thank you very much for your concern. This question was asked to me by one of my students who studies English Literature and I guessed the answer to be "against", so I hoped to check mu choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
The only word that could go with "lamp post" and make sense is "under" but the sentence would still be unnatural and ungrammatical.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you very much for your concern. This question was asked to me by one of my students who studies English Literature and I guessed the answer to be "against", so I hoped to check mu choice.
I'm a little concerned that you're an English teacher and you didn't immediately see that "English course is learning .......... lamp post" is an ungrammatical sentence regardless of what word you put in the space.
There are at least four obvious errors (although even with corrections, it still wouldn't make sense!)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
As I very recently wrote to another Egyptian Arabic-speaking teacher of English, mohamido, 'I was just about to point out that we don't do students' homework when I noticed that you're actually an English teacher. Please don't post any more threads which give students the idea that this is a free homework answering service.

If you want to discuss language points that you're having trouble with, please start by giving us the source of the question and making your own attempt at answering it and/or explaining your problem.

I see you posted the same thread here. 'Please don't post the same question to different forums simultaneously. Post on one forum only, wait for responses and then, only if you are disappointed with/confused by the responses (or there aren't any), post on another forum and include a link to the first forum thread.' (emsr2d2)

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@mohamido The responses you got at WR make sense to me. In fact, I can't add anything except to say that I agree.

You could say an English course is leaning against a lamp post, but that, of course, makes no sense.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
To be honest, the sentence makes so little sense that you could choose any of the answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.