Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
question: does the use of the word 'this' indicate that the 'language problem' was mentioned prior in the text?

sentence: In June 2008, I accepted an overseas job in a rural area of Japan called Niigata and found myself faced with this language problem

excerpt (Folse & Pugh, 2020) : "I am a teacher of English as a second language (ESL). In June 2008, I accepted an overseas job in a rural area of Japan called Niigata and found myself faced with this language problem . One event in particular really stands out as an example of my inability to express my ideas to the people around me due to my lack of vocabulary."

context: i am asked to write a hook for this introduction. since 'this' is used, i am wondering whether i should mention the language problem in the hook.

hook that i decided to go with: Imagine being in a foreign country and clueless about buying basic goods because you cant express yourself.

if you would like to comment on ways to improve it, i would also appreciate that
---
References: Folse, K. S., & Pugh, T. (2020). Great Writing 5: From great essays to research. Cengage Learning.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"I am a teacher of English as a second language (ESL). In June 2008, I accepted an overseas job in a rural area of Japan called Niigata and found myself faced with this language problem. One event in particular really stands out as an example of my inability to express my ideas to the people around me due to my lack of vocabulary."

References: Folse, K. S., & Pugh, T. (2020). Great Writing 5: From Great Essays to Research. Cengage Learning.

question: Does the use of the word 'this' indicate that the 'language problem' was mentioned prior in the text?

sentence: In June 2008, I accepted an overseas job in a rural area of Japan called Niigata and found myself faced with this language problem
excerpt (Folse & Pugh, 2020) :

context:
I am have been asked to write a hook for this introduction. Since 'this' is used, I am wondering whether i should mention the language problem in the hook.

This is the hook that I have decided to go with: Imagine being in a foreign country and clueless having no idea about buying how to buy basic goods because you can't express yourself.

If you would like to comment on suggest ways to improve it, I would also appreciate that.
First, please note my changes and corrections above. I've completely changed the layout. It makes more sense to give us the quote, then the source, then your question, then your suggested solution. There was no need to introduce each part with a label ("sentence", "question", context" etc) or to put them in bold.

Also, make sure you follow these rules of written English at all times:
- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with one appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I" (first person singular pronoun).

The use of "this" in that passage suggests that either the problem has been mentioned shortly before that sentence or that it's about to be mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator: